Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As the other's have said, 800hp is expensive! You won't get that out of a streetable N/A sbc 350! Learn the car front to back, do your research!
I was your age when I swapped a 355 small block into my Cutlass. That engine was very healthy at around 425hp at the crank, and it was a blast to drive!! It ran great on the street, never ran hot, etc. However, I was single and making good money for a 18-19 year old and spent over $10K doing it right!!!!

For your first giddy up, stick with mild until you get used to it! Mine scared me plenty of times until I learned to truly harness and control the power. That engine died a few years back, and now 16 years later I'm working on a 600-700hp streetable LS monster!!!!

None of are trying to discourage you, just don't rush it! We're all here to help along the way, but we don't wanna see anyone just dump a hoss *ss motor in while not knowing how to drive it and do serious damage or worse.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Forget it. At 18 and with the lack of experience and resources, you're not ready.
Buy a car you can afford to drive, crash and fix.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Forget it. At 18 and with the lack of experience and resources, you're not ready.
Buy a car you can afford to drive, crash and fix.

LOL that is exactly what got me into Gbodies back in 1989

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Man I miss being 18 - I was going to rule the World! I remember dreaming about putting a dinky B&M/Weiand 142/144 supercharger on my 355. It never happened. That was 20 years ago. Granted I built lots of cool stuff since that time but I have never found the need for 800hp in anything. The most you are going to effectively put to the pavement is 500hp at the wheels - but, it is really the torque that is going to dictate whether you are spinning or winning.

That being said, if you want it bad enough I say go for it. Build the monster. But, rest assured you are going to be mortgaging your future for a fast car now. I imagine you probably want to think about getting an education or learn a high-demand trade because otherwise you will only ever be making minimum wage. When I was 25 I had two careers going at the same time to pay for my speed habit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Lost the OP (hopefully not permanently), I've got you by 30 years and I'm still trying to put 800 to the wheels in a daily, reliable driver.

My advice, if your 350 runs efficiently (compression within 10% on all 8), then grab a chinesium turbo, blow off valve and wastegate and learn how to tune a Holley for boost. It will take approx $1500ish , maybe a little more, and you can see 450-500 crank with 14 or so psi. Be prepared to learn, break parts, replace parts and learn how to keep it teats down between the lines.

Without boost, you're 15-20K away from your goal IMHO. Turbo's are your friends.

Tillrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2017
Northeast
I'm going to share with you a saying a good friend of mine uses-someone who is also a member on this forum. "Cheap, fast, reliable; pick two."

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Not sure if the OP is serious.
-Hope he's not trolling this forum.
But - there must be a few hundred people here with a few thousand posts covering almost everything one could do to a G Body. Spend a few hours reading member's posts. If you want to be informed, read, ask questions and listen to what they're saying. You'll discover the problem(s) you're experiencing have already been answered by a G Body Forum member.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor