86 700-r4 / good to paint the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
trans

yes i have had a trans cooler since day one when my dad got it in 1990 from my great aunt. i think its a 6 or 8 row tube and fin type. not the greatest like a honeycomb type but its a cooler and almost covers half of the condensor. and its plumbed after the radiator.

still figuring if i wanna paint the trans black or aluminum or just hit it with a drill and wirebrush or polisher? just something that looks good and is fast to do cause i don't wanna take up much time.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Honestly, unless you plan to show it there really is no need to paint it. It will look like *ss as long as soon as you install it because it's such a messy job putting it in. I have cleaned many a trans only to have it covered in greasy finger prints when I am done. If you do decide to paint it, mask off the ID tag on the tailshaft so that you can easily identify it later. It should be made of tin, and be either blue or yellow in color.

Sep 10, 2008
700r4

I'M A TRANS REBUILDER IN WINNIPEG, CANADA. IF YOUR GOING TO BUILD IT, BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! IF I WAS BUILDING THAT ONE, I WOULD USE THE BEAST (HD SUN SHELL). ITS A REAL WEAKNESS. AND USE 5 PINION PLANITARIES, GM ONES NOT OFF SHORE. THE OFF SHORE PLANTS WILL NOT LAST. I HAVE THE SAME TRANS IN MY CUTLASS WITH 383 STROKER WITH 475 HP. I HAVE MINE BUILT UP A BIT MORE THAN YOURS BUT THEY WILL LAST. IT WORKING GREAT FOR THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor