86 Cutlass Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
I am in the process of building a fun daily driver out of my 1986 cutlass supreme.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Re: Hurst/Olds Clone Build Thread

pimplogic said:
...also i wanted a vin 9 camshaft. would that require any ixtra work to put it in? like re timing it?

Well, since you have to remove the distributor to swap the camshaft, of course you're going to have to re-time it...
You'll also have to pull everything off the front of the motor, as well as the carb and intake.

I've heard that Walker makes a nice cat-back system, though I don't have any experience with it myself.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009

see this is my first car and i havent taken apart the engine yet. so i am gonna remove the distributor intake manifold timing cover and pull out the radiator. im gonna swap the cam while the engine is still in the car, would that work?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

You'll probably need to remove the AC condenser as well to have enough room to pull the cam.

To remove the timing cover, you'll have to drop the front of the oil pan a little. And obviously you'll need to remove the harmonic balancer, water pump, fuel pump and rocker arms.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009

o i forgot to mention i dont have an ac condenser or air pump. lol just power steering and alternator. any idea where i can get a vin 9 cam for cheap? used maybe

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

Just a vin 9 cam won't do much for a 307. For about the same price you can get a modern grind that also won't do much for you, but will be a little better.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009

I got a notebook to organize my thoughts as well as mu budget, $2500. first of all my car needs the brake system redone, so i went to autozone.com and priced out new calipers along with some ceramic brake pads (vented cross drilled rotors come later) along with new drum shoes hoses and lines and a new brake power booster (just in case). also i priced some heavy duty coil over shocks, for the engine i wanted to go with a olds 350 rocket (gonna paint it olds metallic blue)headers jegs headerback exhaust system with turbo muffs. may go with an electric fan, as for exterior paint i would like to go 84 H/O with metallic silver over black with blue striping to match my blue engine and interior. then i wanna get a power bulge for my hood (i may fabricate one). I already have the spoiler. then for my 7.5 rear im gonna get the powertrax lr 1930 locker that supposedly unlocks in turns but well see how that works>

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Good luck doing all that with just $2500! The paint would cost at least that unless your doing it yourself.

MayhemKustomz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2010
Michigan

FE3X CLONE said:
Good luck doing all that with just $2500! The paint would cost at least that unless your doing it yourself.

Good point! Just got a quote for my old mans 86. $3200 just for a repaint from a local body shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor