'86 Cutlass Supreme build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The oil light comes on because when the engine is not running, it has no oil pressure. It's normal. As for the stalling, it could be a number of things, but most likely is due to a vacuum leak. I would go through all the hoses as most are probably in poor condition due to the age of the car. I would also check the vacuum schematic and see what it is supposed to be set up like, and how you have it actually set up.

86_cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
West Springfield, MA
well my buddies and i late last night cleaned ot the cat. cause he thought it was clogged and it was so that is clear and the car has more pep but still kind of runs like crap. he also thinks the computer still has to re-adjust to all this air, less emissions hooked up, etc. goint to work then i will be working on it again tune-up time.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
It may idle with fairly low oil pressure. If you're sitting at a light and it's stumbling, oil pressure may be dropping enough for the light to come on. The 'dummy light' cars have an oil pressure switch that causes the light to come on when pressure is below a certain threshold. The tune-up kid should help it run quite a bit better, and if it's been let go for as long as it has, the emissions system is probably not up to snuff. If you don't have testing/etc. in your area, it may be cheaper to just nix the stuff than try to get it all working properly again. You can also get a "test pipe" to replace the cat from BSM Exhaust I think is the company (one of the vendors on this site), but if it's just a stock motor you're probably not moving enough air to worry about it. Also, check your timing and fuel filter (I think it's in the carb on the 2/4MVs, my bet is this has never been changed) that could help it run better.

Above all other things GET A SERVICE MANUAL. Give it a once-over to give an idea of what would be needed for certain things (timing, carb. adjustment, etc.). You'd be surprised what a proper tune-up can do for an otherwise anemic car.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The307 Olds v8 run extremely lean. I would set your idle up a bit. Hopefully someone drilled out the mixture screw covers, try turning them out richer. You will need a special tool. Make sure the base timing is 20 degrees with the connector grounded. The best thing for more performance, find a good running late 60's thru mid 70's OLDS 350 or 77-79 OLDS 403 form the Delta 88,98 and Firebird. Buy it complete, then rebuild the carb and swap in the vacuum advance distributor. A 403 carb and distributor will run very nice on your 307. Your swirl port 307 is a doggy motor from what everyone says. What trans? Your car also 2.XX gears(almost guaranteed), most Olds did, due to their superior torque over the 305 sbc. My 403 Olds with 2.56 gears, 245/60r14 and a lockright, which turns both wheels, will spin hard enough to cause wheelhop. I will be posting the1/8 mile times soon.

86_cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
West Springfield, MA
i wouldnt doubt the gears but i have yet to look at my oil pan to see what transmission it is. and it is pretty much garbage anyway cause we lifted up the front of the car and it roleed back a couple inches on its own. it runs a lot better now with the cat open it has only stalled twice (once last night, and once today) but it starts back up and drives just like before so timing must be a little off... and the carb has been rebuilt by balise chevrolet twice so the filter should be fine but the carb is stil crap.

86_cutlass

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
West Springfield, MA
ok i have been debating lately about my engine...since from the factory these cars didnt have a lot of horses under the hood well i was driving my brother's dad's town car and i womped on the gas being used to my sluggish cutlass and the tires started spinning and i got so exhilerated and it has only like 225 horsepower stock i think he said. So obviously an engine swap is in order i want something driveable everyday. So 350 is a good choice, but i dont know if i should do an Olds 350 or Chevy 350. Poll: Olds 350 or Chevy 350? and how much could i expect to pay for either? which would be more expensive and harder to find cheaply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor