BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Could be the 10.5 and 11.5" AAM axles. But I know they made a 9.5 in the early 2000's that was AAM, it might have been front axle, I was building a Blazer with 1 tons at the time.

Rock auto will tell you right away, I believe the ring was some metric bolt pattern.

Could be that the 9.5 followed suit with the 10.5/11.5. That is something I'm ignorant of.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I’ve researched the 9.5 and the aftermarket is poor. For a truck app it’s fine ( have been looking for one for C20 around 500whp). But you’re well over that.

I have no recommendations that I’ll stand behind, but if I were you, then I’d be looking at a genuine Eaton clutch style posi for your build. There are many people running low 9’s with one. I think you got the double wamboozle ( professional term) on a crappy part and wheel hop.
But this is me, not you.

I’m sticking with the 8.8 and hoping I don’t disintegrate it. only positive is that I look at the disc brakes as axle retainers ;)

I get what your saying about the aftermarket being poor. Nobody is out there doing much to an 9.5. It's strong, but kinda an unkown in the performance world. I can get an aftermarket diff, and if I go aftermarket axles that part doesn't matter much to have support since its custom. The parts I need are available but I get the aftermarket lack there of. Just frustrating the car has gone home on a trailer twice and I am rarely an over build it person but I am boarderline at the overbuild it point.

I agree the next diff (if I stay 8.5) I go with will be an Eaton. However I ruled out the posi style or anything with spider gears. The issue I have is that I am putting so much shock load though the center pin and the spider gears. Eaton themselves doesn't seem to recommend the posi for drag use. They say truetrac or detroit locker.

The detroit locker is $800 vs $500 for the truetrac. I watched the tech operation videos for both on summit and the truetrac seems better since it is always in contact and there is little to no slop in the system. The detroit locker has some springs and seems like it could fail in the same way the govlocks do (some sprags need to engage).

The other thing I need to do is get a line lock on the car and trigger it off with the clutch pedal release somehow. I would really like to have a little tension on the driveline when staged.

1601338796423.png

The other thing I really have an opportunity for up top is some added timing. I had like 13 degrees and one of the professional tuners that went on the trip said on ethanol with my IAT's it should take at least 18 degrees at the boost I am at.

I have one last chance to get the car to the track in 2 weeks. I think I will get a truetrac ordered and installed next week. If weather cooperates I'll have one last shot to try to get my 11.50 goal before the end of the season. Then probably a frame notch and 15x10 rears.

I guess a few more photos I grabbed.

1601341822834.png

1601341864159.png
1601341874717.png

1601341884408.png

1601341906780.png

1601341915979.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Combination of a stick, wheel hop, and a heavy foot did the 8.8 in. I would figure your wheel hop out before you launch the car again...

I don't disagree there on the wheel hop. It certainly surprised me during the burnout. The car hasn't wheel hopped for like 3 years, it was back when everything was stock.

The car has adjustable uppers with heims in one side and roto joints in the other, along with boxed lowers and poly bushings.

The other winter change I have to make is getting some adjustable shocks. Hopefully that will cure any potential wheel hop from the water box. The kyb gas adjusts on it are too soft and the compression side on the fronts is waaay loose and the rebound side on the rears is way loose. The car feels like I'm riding a dingy in a hurricane for as much as the nose rises and falls on shifts. It transfers weight really well since the front shocks are so loose, but when I shift it falls down really hard.

Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
What is goofy, the carrier itself? The ring gear bolts? Bearings? I didn't know they changed.

Salvage yard 200 miles away has a bent $200 TBSS rear. I've gotta go there for work in the next week or so. Hmmmm.....

View attachment 158263

Bent?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

The drivers side of the car took a hard hit. The drivers side tube looked pushed rearwards a bit. If I were to go with the 14 bolt I would replace all the bent parts anyways so I would just straighten it out.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The drivers side of the car took a hard hit. The drivers side tube looked pushed rearwards a bit. If I were to go with the 14 bolt I would replace all the bent parts anyways so I would just straighten it out.

Bent axle shaft or bent axle tube?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That TBSS rear had a bent tube.

I passed on the TBSS 9.5 rear build for now. Since the LC2 setup from the wagon is going in the Olds, I'm going to need a rear for that car eventually. I am going to replace the 8.5 I have in the 2+2 with a Truetrac (just ordered it). I did the math and by the time I shorten my brand new driveshaft, get brakes and axles for a TBSS rear it's more work than I want to deal with now. If i blow the rear again it will go in the cutlass and I will do the 9.5 build for this car.

I was going to take the car to the track in 2 weeks but I found out i have a wedding to go to that weekend and living in the frozen north mid Oct is basically the end of the race season.

I am going to put the car back into street mode, throw a new diff in and get back on the road. I'm burning salt free days so I am wrapping that up before it's too late.

Few more DWend photos
1601576008532.png

1601576017632.png

1601576032643.png

Reactions: 13 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I like you're plan - ALOT. And I'm with ya on burning up salt free days - wifey put the vex on my weekend racing plans, then out of town for 2 weeks. I see an Atco trip in my future before the the place is closed for good.

p.s. - more water in the burnout box and all will be well (I hope) :banana:

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Unpacked my car tonight and looked at the remnants of the Yukon posi.

IMG_20201001_182159.jpg

IMG_20201001_182214.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor