87 bracket car build #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
As far as I know, any track that does a real tech inspection will require a chassis cert. on a car with modified firewall or floor
NHRA only requires cert for cars 9.99 et and 135mph all the tracks I run have used NHRA guidelines

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm sorry I thought this was a forum asking questions from experienced racers with NHRA licenses that have competed in Super Gas, Super Stock and Super Pro Eliminator with multiple cars. But now I see its for make believe ideas and when you question them you are wrong. I'm out.

Well good for you

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
With everything your doing to that Monte and that's all your going to run ??
I saw two leaf spring converted cars at bracket finals this year a 79 Malibu and a 66 buick they both worked well for the guys and I want to try it
The Buick ran 13.30 et and won the race no cage
The Bu ran in the elevens no cage
The Buick eliminated me in the 3rd round with 7 package to my 16 he had a great day nothing over a 20 package hope to see him again at Numidia this year so how fast will I need to run I think the Monte will go in to the 12s

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
My buddy had a 70 Skylark that was put on leafs, it worked well but he converted back. I am a fan of leafs w/ cal-trax I set up my Sonoma with them and it's been awesome. Sounds like your having pretty good success with what you have and I question all the radical work on a low powered car. The cage is a no brainier for me, the G's have a weak frame and need all the help they can get for drag racing. Your always going to want to go faster so do it right the first time. And most important I just want to be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
My buddy had a 70 Skylark that was put on leafs, it worked well but he converted back. I am a fan of leafs w/ cal-trax I set up my Sonoma with them and it's been awesome. Sounds like your having pretty good success with what you have and I question all the radical work on a low powered car. The cage is a no brainier for me, the G's have a weak frame and need all the help they can get for drag racing. Your always going to want to go faster so do it right the first time. And most important I just want to be safe.
I wouldn’t call it radical but I have to address this first and putting leaf springs on it is going to easy

Attachments

• A835D4D1-0AD8-47A9-9291-437E3D881C58.jpeg
    A835D4D1-0AD8-47A9-9291-437E3D881C58.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Call it what you will but setting the engine back - firewall work - and going to leafs is quite a change for a car getting into the 12's. I run a fuel cell in the front of the Regal w/ stock engine location and the pump in front of the radiator. I'm also going to suggest running a split mono w/ the cal trax and sliders in the rear. While your addressing your frame I would suggest boxing it also. If your doing the work a cage is cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
An 8 point cage is so cheap to purchase to keep you legal to 10.0, I have a tough time not doing one for a car that'll see the strip. The time to put one in is when you can lift the body from the chassis and interior is removed.

If you're planning to convert to leaf, then be advised that the rear spring tales when brand new wouldn't have supported a leaf suspension - they are flimsy. You'll need more there than just the factory style frame.

You seem to have a bunch of crazy mods for a car that goes as fast as a stock car. It begs the question of 'why'? We run fast enough to go right past the 8 point cage requirements to a 10 point on the stock suspension and engine location. Regardless, have fun, it sounds like you have some work cut out for yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor