87 El Camino Daily Driver/Weekend Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Was in bed this morning with the fam, watching the videos over and over...wifey thinks im NUTS!!!

MAN I LOVE UR VIDS BRAH...keep it going :wink:

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
84sscutty said:
So ready to hear the BCT fire up and see it roll down the street. I think you kept us waiting long enough. Come on wit it bruh. LOL.

HAHA! Man you know what it is? I know what this motor is about, how it sounds and performs from it being in the SS. Im just not all amped up to get the motor started back up. It all the other stuff Im interested in. Brakes, rear end, gauges, cleaning the frame back up amd redoing the suspension. I SHOULD have her fired up in a couple weekends. I wante her in paint by March 31st.. Preciate you checking back...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Was in bed this morning with the fam, watching the videos over and over...wifey thinks im NUTS!!!

MAN I LOVE UR VIDS BRAH...keep it going :wink:

LOLOL! Thanks bruh! I get the same looks when Im snappin pics or shootin a quick update from the celly. LOL Thanks for checking back. With the rear out, I can start to get to work.

Got the rear out. Started tearing it apart and tripping the old Por15 off. Not sure if Im gonna use por on the rear this time. That brake fluid stripped it right off....

6907927869_e7eb718650_z.jpg

Stripping the lines. Taking em into work so I can blast em clean and then a fresh coat of aluminum Krylon "tough coat" for some detail...Drianing the fluid and then popping the TA girdle off. Then the fun begins. I'll be starting my rear disc swap in a few days. This rear had new 28 spline axles dropped in by the previous owner. I may do some moser axles. But then again thats loot I could spend on something else....

6907929241_11c843f8a3_z.jpg

I also got the upper and lower front control arms de-greased and blasted. Now I can shoot em out to get chromed. I like to get the parts as clean and smooth as I can before taking em to "the pro's". That way I know what the surface looked like before the job was done. Ive had too many parts come back on past jobs all messed up. Then the excuses start. Skip shot these my way...Thanks fam!

After I cleaned em up....

6908101379_1f90f9133a_z.jpg

Side by side..

6908106415_8efb5f368e_z.jpg

6908102579_6c6647dfbb_z.jpg

6908103707_1d70ef672d_z.jpg

Droppin those off to get the bushing pressed out if my dude is still around. Then its off to get chromed...

I also removed the passengers side wiring harness and computer. That really cleaned up all that mess and made things easier on me. It got dark so I called it quits for the night(outside at least). Im in the shop messing with the Gnat rear....

Elco Warren 8)

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Love your updates Warren! They keep me motivated to work on my ole girl. LOL Did you spray the arms with anything to keep them from starting to surface rust again until they are ready to finished? Just curious if that is necessary.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Im so jealous of your access to the sand blaster. Those arms are looking good. :drool:

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
That grand national rear end is OK..... If that's what your into....lol I need to stay out of your tread you got to many goodies for me to hate on. :rofl:

Looking good bro, let me know what product you decide to use on that rear end. I'll be snatching mine out to clean up and paint when I do my rear arms, 3.73 gears and rear disc brake swap

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
West up homies!!! Haven't been up in your threads for a min,but you already know im just trying to pLAy kectchup and following the leader! :wink: looking SStunning as usual.looks like ol lac got all us brake upgrading! **** yeah he's the man.i wanted to see if you needed. My bushing remover/puller from hnr parts and stuff,the tool makes this suspension work(removing,and installing) all the bushings(a-arms,trailing arms,etc) a breeze..i don't know if you're planning on replacing your dog ear bushings on your rear,but this tool also does this as well.nehoo,keep grinding homie,and pm me iwith a adress to shoot the tool to if interested.

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
damn warren i love how those sand blasted parts came out looking good bro....also ill shoot ya atext later i got those special items i told ya about and will be putting them on tonight i may have to let the whole 80z fam in on this one too later all.....

Breeze

n00b
Feb 22, 2012
What up Brah? "NICE ELCO!" I'm building a 84. I have 2 questions, what size spacers did you use to fit the IROCS, & where did your friend get the chrome radiator hold down on the SS Monte Carlo? Thanks Breeze

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Breeze said:
What up Brah? "NICE ELCO!" I'm building a 84. I have 2 questions, what size spacers did you use to fit the IROCS, & where did your friend get the chrome radiator hold down on the SS Monte Carlo? Thanks Breeze

Thanks bruh! I ran 1" spacers on the Elco when I had rocs on her. I think ur talking about my silver ss. I got that radiator top plate from gbodyparts.com waaaay back. It's not chromed. I had it polished. But there's a spot that has em chromed already now. http://www.custommontessparts.com/ has em. Preciate you checking the threads Out...

Elco Warren

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
L.A.X-RATED said:
West up homies!!! Haven't been up in your threads for a min,but you already know im just trying to pLAy kectchup and following the leader! :wink: looking SStunning as usual.looks like ol lac got all us brake upgrading! **** yeah he's the man.i wanted to see if you needed. My bushing remover/puller from hnr parts and stuff,the tool makes this suspension work(removing,and installing) all the bushings(a-arms,trailing arms,etc) a breeze..i don't know if you're planning on replacing your dog ear bushings on your rear,but this tool also does this as well.nehoo,keep grinding homie,and pm me iwith a adress to shoot the tool to if interested.

Preciate' that doggy!!! The bushings in the "ears" are new. The previous owner went thru the whole rear end. new axles, posi, 373 gears, seals, POR-15'd the whole rear. It was a beauty!!! Sat in my storage for 4 years and I finally installed it in the SS. Drove it from Riverside to Moval(bout 15 miles) and it has sat since... The upper/lower trailing arms are new and have the same mileage/use on em. Fronts will be handled by a dude I shoot biz too...But Imma see about that tool for when im helping the homies out. Trying to get these young dudes more into suspension clean up before wheels and paint :wink: .

G Nat rear is stripped...

6776872180_abdd2ba2a9_z.jpg

Aircraft stripper

6776873704_4965549548_z.jpg

6922988805_0404e6d99b_z.jpg

6922990205_949a261f42_z.jpg

6922991399_1d0caa78dc_z.jpg

Wiped it down with a red scotch brite pad

6922996837_8c68b78066_z.jpg

6922998035_6f03efb719_z.jpg

Blasted the TA rear girdle. Ready for chrome...

6922992659_8cb3d75cbc_z.jpg

6776880248_3bbebb36a2_z.jpg

6776881580_f8a1575c9e_z.jpg

Backing plate bolt is out. Soaked it overnight with some Gunk "liquid Wrench". Came off with no probs...

6922999035_8f787d07d4_z.jpg

Up next: pull the axles out, press out the studs, blast the axles, get new ARP studs pressed in, cut old backingplate, drill 3/8" holes for Maro SS backing plate and put it all back together. Gotta hit youtube up on how to take the axles out. I forgot already. LOL :oops: Gonna have theBrake lines chromed and the rear will be coated in Eastwood Extreme chassis black in gloss. Doin the whole Eastwood system on it. I'm getting it in the gallon size so I can spray it with my gun....

Thanks for checking back..... :D

Elco Warren 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor