87 El Camino Daily Driver/Weekend Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Yeah man that price was perfect! Went looking for the rears and came up short. $110 for the rears is what I've been finding. Damn.. I'll keep the air shocks til I find a good deal. This lil truck is for cruising anyways. I really don't need half the stuff I have going in it...

Elco Warren

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
Damn looking good and when u want hotchkis let me know u don't hit up your old buddy Dave?? U seen how good it rolls racing Mel in a rental car on the Vegas freeways lol....keep up the good work let's get this Elko rolling man I'm the only 80zbabiez inh so cal with a done and running car....its lonely out on the streets......

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
Dave V said:
Damn looking good and when u want hotchkis let me know u don't hit up your old buddy Dave?? U seen how good it rolls racing Mel in a rental car on the Vegas freeways lol....keep up the good work let's get this Elko rolling man I'm the only 80zbabiez inh so cal with a done and running car....its lonely out on the streets......
LOL man o man i was thinking the same thing DAVE i cant to hit the streets with you when i mean im in the streets imma be in the streets REPPIN THE ALL MIGHTY 80zBABIEZ

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Dave V said:

I did hit you up big dog! You never got back so I kept it moving. Had to take care of the beetle so I'll have to do the Extreme TVS setup a lil later. I won't be putting her on the road til that's done. I'll get with you again when I'm ready and see wassup. Preciate that bruh.

I did do some wire clean up and other lil stuff. Started hailing on me like crazy and then rain. Kept wrenchin tho! Lol! Then I did some clean up on the wiring for the electric fans and the ghetto *ss kill switch the previous owner did. When we pulled the motor, we must have unhooked those wires cuz I can't find a spot where the kill switch plugs into inside the car. There's black paint on an exposed section of the wires which tells me it must have been hooked up in the bay area somewhere. Found the pink hot wire for the dizzy (which had a white wire running with it into a clip) Thanks Mel and Chris for the help
on it. I'll be installing the Dakota Digital panel in so Ill be running the wire for the tach straight from the brain for the panel.
Rain got pretty bad so I stopped for the day. Cleaned up the shop and chilled.
I'll be back on the wiring today. Need some shrink wrap and a few other lil supplies.

Checklist (let me know if I'm forgetting anything)

Blocks grounded to the fire wall WITH 4 gauge and the braided strap, grounded to the frame with 0 gauge and grounded to the fender wall with 4 gauge wire

Power wire is ran to the starter

Power wire is ran to the alternator and all wires are hooked up to the alt including that brownish wire needed for the alt.

All wires are routed from the driver side harness down to the starter. Not hooked up yet cuz I want to get some heat wrap for the wires

Constant hot wire (pink wire) for the dizzy is stripped and waiting to be hooked up, soldered and shrink wrapped.

Fuel lines are hooked up and tight

All vac lines are hooked up, brake booster, pcv line

Carb is grounded but I need to find a switched power source for the choke.

4am so I'm sleepy hand and may left out something but Ive got most of the basics covered. Motor is broken in and timed so not having the tach hooked up shouldntbea prob (?)

Still need to hook the trans lines up, wrap the oil cooler lines with heat wrap and hook the lines up to the cooler. Found some heat wrap/shield from thermo tek. Gonna order it today. Not much left to do so I can fire it up and see what happens.

Keeping fingers crossed

Elco Warren 8)

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
Dave V said:

I did hit you up big dog! You never got back so I kept it moving. Had to take care of the beetle so I'll have to do the Extreme TVS setup a lil later. I won't be putting her on the road til that's done. I'll get with you again when I'm ready and see wassup. Preciate that bruh.

Elco Warren 8)
all you wanted at the time was the sway bars and i never got the answer on that thats my fault sounds now you want more than that any i forgot all about it whatever hope to see your ride done soon.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Dave V said:
all you wanted at the time was the sway bars and i never got the answer on that thats my fault sounds now you want more than that any i forgot all about it whatever hope to see your ride done soon.

It's all good bruh. I'll hit you up again when I'm ready to do it. Probably in another month or so.I might just do the extreme sway bar set now and do the adj. rear trailing arms later. Then get the springs. Only prob is that it's cheaper as a kit. Hmmm. I'll see wassup... Gotta work on my lady's ride and get her right....

LSCustoms said:
moving along nicely big bro!

Thanks lil bro! Preciate u ordering the parts for me. Paypal has really been dropping the ball as of late man. I've had my paypal account since 2000 and have never had these kinds of probes with them. Not really much to do in order to fire it up. Just lil supplies to run everything clean. I might head up to harbor freight before work to grab a few things.... Gonna take the Spohn uppers to work and blast em so the blue paint will stick. We gotta hit rainbow bolt up soon. I want some stainless hardware for the upper ball joints....

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
wow! :respect: this is going to be one of the nicest elcos anywhere..

Looks like you have everything under control but for the switched power for the choke you can just splice it in with the brown (or maybe black wire) that runs off of the two prong connector on the alt going to the oil pressure switch. it is only hot with the key on and the wire loom its in runs close to the carb so its one of the easiest places to run it cleanly. I can get a pic to show you what i mean if you want. "KANT WAIT" to see it on the road :rofl:

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
richp85elco said:
wow! :respect: this is going to be one of the nicest elcos anywhere..

Looks like you have everything under control but for the switched power for the choke you can just splice it in with the brown (or maybe black wire) that runs off of the two prong connector on the alt going to the oil pressure switch. it is only hot with the key on and the wire loom its in runs close to the carb so its one of the easiest places to run it cleanly. I can get a pic to show you what i mean if you want. "KANT WAIT" to see it on the road :rofl:

Thanks bruh!!! I have a looooooong ways to go to be on Dave's elco's level as far as clean goes. Im chipping away at it daily tho. Really appreciate you chiming in and yes! Please post a pic bro. Really appreciate that. I need to get a chilton's manual if I'm gonna be doin this kind of stuff. I bet imma have to dig back into the wire loom and fish that wire out. Ouch!! L those looms are murder on you finger tips. What I did was electric tape and then shrink wrapped all the connections I thought I wouldn't need and then tucked em neatly back in the loom. The passenger side harness has been removed. Big lil bro Skip ordered the heat shielding tube I needed for the oil cooler lines and some other suspension parts I wanted...The edelbrock anti hop bars came in today. Can't wait to get the Eastwood xtreme chassis black from Mel so I can get started on the rear end. Thanks for checkin back!

Elco Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor