87 Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe -2nd chance-

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well as many of you may know my 83 SS was totalled. After a month or so of waiting on insurance I finally got the check and was able to pick up a very clean 1987 aerocoupe SS for a steal. Car is all original, 2 owner, 80k miles, and has sat in a garage since 2004. The guy I got it off of bought it to do a frame off resto on it but lost interest. I came with an extra frame that was sand blasted and painted, and every front suspension part brand new in boxes from Moog, including a rebuilt steering box, and tubular upper control arms.

I will be building it from the extra frame. Going to box it, notch it, repaint it, and throw my engine, trans, and rear end on it before doing the body swap. Im going to keep my GP dash and console but paint match them to the factory maroon color. I have a lot of ideas as of now and im sure they will change along the way.

Basic plans are....
My 496 stroker, full manual TH400, 8.5 3:42 locker GN rear from the 83
17x8, 17x9 torque thrust wheels with 28x11.5 ET streets for the rear
Front and rear seats reupholstered maroon vinyl
After all the work is done it will see new paint. Not sure what color but right now im leaning towards the newer GM pearl white with factory stripes. Will get more pics as it comes along.
20151128_134457.jpeg
20151128_134509.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice score! if you decide to stay with the gray/blue stuff, I have some of the n.o.s. stripes in the blue colors, IIRC the only thing I don't have is the SS for 1 door.

looking foward to following the build, and am glad the major setback with the old SS hasn't soured you!

Darin

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
nice score! if you decide to stay with the gray/blue stuff, I have some of the n.o.s. stripes in the blue colors, IIRC the only thing I don't have is the SS for 1 door.

looking foward to following the build, and am glad the major setback with the old SS hasn't soured you!

Darin
Thanks!

I plan on keeping the red/maroon stripes and maroon interior as of now but things do change.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Looks like a good match to the parts you already have, I also like the white and let's face no one really likes black Monte's anyway.;)

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
any chance you'll be converting the transmission to a stick with this build?
Probably not. For now the TH400 will have to do. The aero came with the stock 200-4R so eventually I plan on buying all the necessary parts needed to make it live behind a 500 cube big block and swapping it in. The thought of a 496 stroker, manual 200-4R with lockup and 4.10s in the rear sounds awesome. Plus I can keep my Kilduff L-Rod shifters!

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
brennan you sly dog!!! now you are talking my L.A.nguage:) so is that all the front doghouse stuff in the truck? im gathering parts as we speak to make a "luxury sport aero"(being that i have 3 aero's,2 actually because the 86 is remaining "stock";))looking forward to your "rebuild".

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
did the aerocoupes come with an 8.5 rear?
No they had the 7.625 like the regular SS. I will be selling that after winter. No idea if it's posi or open yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor