87 Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe -2nd chance-

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when boxing the frame you need to tack weld in bars across the C channels so the channels won't bow or warp when welding the plates to the C channel

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'm not welding for long periods of time. About 3-4" beads at a time. Then alternate to the opposite end.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not welding for long periods of time. About 3-4" beads at a time. Then alternate to the opposite end.

it takes a few minutes to tack a couple of braces but if you want to take a chance that's your prerogative..

• Agree

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I got the engine and trans out lastnight. Came out super easy.....almost too easy. I also pulled the entire dash out and the steering column. Tonight I will pull the console, shifters, and hopefully the hydroboost setup. While I was pulling all the wiring from the engine bay I asked my buddy to start removing the brake pedal since I have to reuse it for the hydroboost. Well I come back a few minutes later and he removed the steering column. Not sure how you mix those 2 parts up......he gets an A for effort though.
20151212_122953.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe the steering column was blocking his view of the brake pedal.
Glad to see you are making good progress on the Monte.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Not much of an update. I got a few small things pulled off the 83 so it's basically ready to roll out of the garage for the aero to come in. I'm gonna loosen all the rear control arm bolts to make it easier to pull the rear end in the snow since it will be outside.

I also ordered my new wheels. 17x8 fronts with 4.5" b.s and 17x9 rears with 5" b.s. The rears should fit nice with the frame notch. I hope to run 28x11.5 ET Streets on the rear.
Screenshot_2015-12-13-15-05-17.png

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice score, and already tore apart so you can modify things, not worrying about messing up a finished car. When I did my frame, I actually made a frame extension so it looks just like the passenger side, but longer like is needed.

Gonna watch this thread for sure.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Updates: I got a can of interior paint from Mike's Montes to paint my GP dash. Color looks awesome but for some reason I kept having dry spots show up on the passenger side. After numerous attempts of scuffing it down with scotchbrite and cleaning it I ran out of paint so I will have to order more. $18 a can sucks!
20151218_233409.jpeg

I got the frame notch done and by done I mean everything is cut, fitted, and tacked. My buddy has a good MIG I will be having him finish the welds since my little 110 sheet metal MIG isn't too fond of sh*t that thick. I will be adding bracing to the rear control arm mounts and adding a crossmember to the rear right behind the upper shock mounts.
20151218_202342.jpeg

I started a little shock mount brace with some small tube I had laying around. Basically gonna be the same thing that UMI sells but mines welded in. I ran out of cutting discs so progress stalled.
20151218_202330.jpeg

And my new wheels FINALLY came in! I have been checking tracking all week counting down to their arrival. They were supposed to be here next tuesday but Fedex dropped them off today. Fitment is good but I will need the frame notch. The wheel alone is about 1/4" away from the frame rail. I thought with 5" of backspacing they would be closer so im happy. Not sure if I wanna go with a 10.5 or 11.5 ET Street. I have been reading that an 11.5 is recommended on nothing thinner than a 9.5" wide wheel. Mine is 9" so im not sure how much it matters...
20151218_163227.jpeg

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Updates: I got a can of interior paint from Mike's Montes to paint my GP dash. Color looks awesome but for some reason I kept having dry spots show up on the passenger side. After numerous attempts of scuffing it down with scotchbrite and cleaning it I ran out of paint so I will have to order more. $18 a can sucks!
View attachment 45886
I got the frame notch done and by done I mean everything is cut, fitted, and tacked. My buddy has a good MIG I will be having him finish the welds since my little 110 sheet metal MIG isn't too fond of sh*t that thick. I will be adding bracing to the rear control arm mounts and adding a crossmember to the rear right behind the upper shock mounts.
View attachment 45887
I started a little shock mount brace with some small tube I had laying around. Basically gonna be the same thing that UMI sells but mines welded in. I ran out of cutting discs so progress stalled.
View attachment 45888
And my new wheels FINALLY came in! I have been checking tracking all week counting down to their arrival. They were supposed to be here next tuesday but Fedex dropped them off today. Fitment is good but I will need the frame notch. The wheel alone is about 1/4" away from the frame rail. I thought with 5" of backspacing they would be closer so im happy. Not sure if I wanna go with a 10.5 or 11.5 ET Street. I have been reading that an 11.5 is recommended on nothing thinner than a 9.5" wide wheel. Mine is 9" so im not sure how much it matters...
View attachment 45889

83montess I;am happy for ya! Good luck with your build/project.
Gbarrie.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For your interior paint can't you find a SEM color to match? Those are only $13 a can.
I get mine either from a local Painter's Supply or Summit if I am ordering over $99 worth of other stuff.
Also just a reminder as you are probably already doing this but make sure anytime you add welded bracing that it will not interfere with anything on the body when it goes back on. I have seen people do this and forget they have rear footwells or a spare tire well, never a good outcome.
Coming along nicely though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor