87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I had a shop do the rewire and it was and still is a nightmare. That car was a rolling death trap. I thought I was getting a Painless kit, nope. I hate thinking bout it. LOL! But now things are a lot better and cleaner. Still a rats nest but when I swap the dash out, I'll cut the cires to length and clean it all up. I just got f*cked on that job. One thing I can credit those shops to is this..If it wasnt for their shabby *ss work, I would have never picked up a wrench and started doin this myself.I have a bodyshop that I deal with. A good friend thats going to show me the painting/bodywork trade. All I pay for is the paint..He's gonna show me how to weld, sand, block, filler the works. Cant pass that up...I'm off work till next monday and will be heading up there to work on my cowl hood for my Elco..Here's an old vid of me up there workin on it...

[youtube]jASii_U8k1E[/youtube]

Elco Warren

you be doing your thing bruh i almost bout a 2" cowl for the monte until i found out it was a el co hood :evil: anyway i like that work but i think you slipped up and posted this here by mistake fool. anyway its all chevy so its all good

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
Man I had a shop do the rewire and it was and still is a nightmare. That car was a rolling death trap. I thought I was getting a Painless kit, nope. I hate thinking bout it. LOL! But now things are a lot better and cleaner. Still a rats nest but when I swap the dash out, I'll cut the cires to length and clean it all up. I just got f*cked on that job. One thing I can credit those shops to is this..If it wasnt for their shabby *ss work, I would have never picked up a wrench and started doin this myself.I have a bodyshop that I deal with. A good friend thats going to show me the painting/bodywork trade. All I pay for is the paint..He's gonna show me how to weld, sand, block, filler the works. Cant pass that up...I'm off work till next monday and will be heading up there to work on my cowl hood for my Elco..Here's an old vid of me up there workin on it...

[youtube]jASii_U8k1E[/youtube]

Elco Warren

Damn man, that sucks. It's hard to find anybody that does good work though, and like you said, at least they got you wrenchin. And with all the interior out it'll be a lot easier to get access to everything. Cool, that sounds like a deal to me! I've wanted to learn how to do all that, but never had the chance. Sounds like you'll be learning the right way to prep a car for paint. Also, that hoods gonna look good when you get it done! Is the Elco gonna get that 350 when you drop a 502 in the SS?

Thanks for checkin back! The El's gettin a new 350 probably tomorrow. The 350 in the S will get dropped in a Malibu when the 502 comes along. It will be about 2-3 years before the 502 comes tho. Im saving for it. No rush. I want everything all at once. Currie 9"rear, beefed up driveshaft, cooling system (Be cool probably) and a Billet Specialties or March pulley setup. Its what I wanted back when I had the cashflow for it. But I have this new 350 to enjoy while I save :wink:

Elco Warren 8)
80zBabiezCC

haha that paint looks raunchy as hell after the paint stripper has it but gets the job done

Oh yeah, no doubt. Just found your Elco thread. So you're planning on getting a Malibu too? Yeah those 502s ain't exactly cheap. LOL! That'll be sick when it all comes together. I love those billet specialties pulley set ups. I'm kinda doin the same type of thing and keepin myself on a budget right now with the 79, but eventually want to do an LS7 or big block and a 6 speed. I just don't have the time or money for it right now. It's enough to keep me busy for a while like it is though.

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
Thanks for checkin back! The El's gettin a new 350 probably tomorrow. The 350 in the S will get dropped in a Malibu when the 502 comes along. It will be about 2-3 years before the 502 comes tho. Im saving for it. No rush. I want everything all at once. Currie 9"rear, beefed up driveshaft, cooling system (Be cool probably) and a Billet Specialties or March pulley setup. Its what I wanted back when I had the cashflow for it. But I have this new 350 to enjoy while I save :wink:

Elco Warren 8)
80zBabiezCC

Man that's sounds like a killer combo the only thing I think you can save some $ on would be your radiator brand. Be cool is nice but by far almost double the amount of other good quality aluminum radiator brands out there. I know you know that but if you personally haven't checked out the champion brand then do it before you purchase a be cool.

Thanks Deezy! Fam the only reason Im goin with that brand is to **** with the hatin azz dudes that talk sh*t. When they see the brand, they KNOW wassup. And it will all be polished and FULLY Detailed. I dont like to stunt, but sometimes you just gotta shut fools the hell up. LOL!

Havent done much but I decided to pull my dash. I didnt take any before pics but let me tell you, that shop ****ed me. Wires live and exsposed! Shoddy *ss work. Well I shortened each wire one at a time and tried my best to clean things up. I will solder things up later.

Old dash out...

6010001696_688a08fe59_b.jpg

After I cleaned the wiring up. I think I may have some pics on the celly. Mel, Chris and Skip will chime in Im sure. The wires where all over the damn place. When I pulled the dash the wires where like a million lil snakes poppin out at me. CRAZY!!! That kind of bs work really gets you fired up to learn and do stuff yourself...

6010003970_2df93e53ca_b.jpg

This set of wires was just sitting there. No tape. No wire nuts. Nothin. LIVE WIRE! :shock: Damn..

6010006186_55fa7d270e_b.jpg

They had just one wire running thru this grommet. All the other wires were ran behind the grommet. And get this...The wires were getting cut by the exposed metal! Who does this???!!?? Wack *ss shops thats who. Started running the wires thru. I love it tho. I try to stay positive. Man I almost threw the damn towel in on it. But its not my fault. Yeah I wated a ton of money but I cant just abandon the ride. I'll get it cleaned up and done the best I can do. Peeps respect the project more when you get it done yourself or with the help of friends..

6010010214_16abeedf9c_b.jpg

OK. This box got me. They had exposed wires all over the place. Earkier this year, I was looking around under the dash. The brain was just dangling there and I moved it over. ZAAAAP!!! i almost took an eye out. They had too many wires crammed into a hole all exsposed. WOW! i cleaned things up and mounted the braint to the firewall out of the way... c*ck suckers!!! Sorry. LOL!

6010011952_7f128b4841_b.jpg

Bout to drop it in right now before I head to work...

6009458977_c86d63ddb4_b.jpg

I'll start hooking all the grounds back up and see what happens. LOL! Wish me luck.

Elco Warren 8)
80BabiezCC

warren where did you pick up that cloth dash cover?That the first one that i've seen that doesn't the dash right above the glove compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor