BUILD THREAD 88 Monte SS to TPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The distributor wiring sends the signal. The coil wire tells the ecm via the wiring that spark is present. There is also a timing advance plug that needs to be unhooked.
Have you been able to verify timing? Base tune should be around 8° advanced and 43lbs of fuel with the timing plug unhooked.
If I recall, once base timing is set with a light, shut the car down, unhook battery for five minutes, then restart with plug hooked. It accounts for an additional 18-20° of timing.

I didn't get to look at my book earlier, so going off memory.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
neither of these sensors on the TPI engine,so what determines these values? VSS?

Ah, very true. It's been awhile since I've played with tpi engines.

My next guess would be distributor related. The tbi engines have trouble with theirs as well.

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just out of curiosity, will it light on starting fluid?
yeah ether does the trick,i just cant figure out why the injectors wont open.really starting to wish id have gone the LS route now lol

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
yeah ether does the trick,i just cant figure out why the injectors wont open.really starting to wish id have gone the LS route now lol

It's just a different bag of worms. Lots of current LS info available right now though. If you can get ahold of a spare distributor, sling it in there and see what happens.

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's just a different bag of worms. Lots of current LS info available right now though. If you can get ahold of a spare distributor, sling it in there and see what happens.
yeah i got a buddy with an 86 IROC,but i think i read somewhere that if the tach is jumping while cranking thats a sign the pickup is reading!
tach jumps and other gauges all respond as well.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
yeah i got a buddy with an 86 IROC,but i think i read somewhere that if the tach is jumping while cranking thats a sign the pickup is reading!
tach jumps and other gauges all respond as well.
Just fyi, I have a darn near brand new dizzy in the event you need one...has a new pickup in it as well.

Maybe give TPIS a call. My stealth ram setup had the painless harness which greatly simplified things.

Which external coil are you using?

Reactions: 1 user
You have no fuel from injectors? Did you check the fuel at the return line, or feed line? I actually had my fuel lines backwards when I first installed my TPI.
Where did you check the injector pulse? I had an individual injector shut down on me once and it was a broken wire in the harness. It shouldn't be timing issue yet if there is no fuel.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You mentioned that you have injector pulses at the injector plugs, correct? Did you check them with a noid light? If yes and yes to those questions, then you have either no fuel to the injectors or injectors are plugged. I'm basing my comment on that you mentioned that you pulled the plugs and they are dry. Also, if the timing was 180 out or too far advanced AND you had fuel in the cylinders, then you would be experiencing some backfiring or starter kick back, but are not mentioning any of that. Again, leads me to believe no fuel.

Confirm that your fuel pressure is staying consistent when cranking. It is possible that your pump is not being powered during cranking. The car will not fire on the priming pulse - USUALLY.

How long has it's been since those injectors have been run?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor