9 inch ford gbody help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Where are you located? I happen to have a 9in housing made to fit a g body taking up space in my garage.....

Reactions: 1 user

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
Best thing for you to do is keep an open mind and not set on a 9 bolt. I was looking for an 8.5 posi or a 12 bolt or the mustang swap i got lucky and found a 12bolt already modified for the g body for 400 bucks and filled it with a kit for 500 bucks in parts 900 bucks in labor another 400 for someone else to build it and reweld the axle tubes since i wasent sure about how well they were welded on. also make sure you check out Baseline for the 12 bolt or the 8.8 out of a stang. (which the 8.8 might be better for what you wanna do)

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
How often are you planning to change the ring and pinion? What trans are you running? And how are you going from 500hp to 800hp?
I went with a Strange S60. They are less expensive than a 9" and take less power to turn because of the position of the pinion. The center section is a new casting that is lighter yet stronger than an original Dana 60. It has a 9.75 ring gear, which is tougher to change than a 9" but I'm not going to swap them out anytime soon. I ordered mine with the 35 spline pro race axles, 40s were an option. I wanted to do it once and do it right.
I have a 4L80e which should handle 800hp in its current form and has an overdrive, so I can run a deeper gear for the track and still be tolerable on the street. It takes more power to turn than most other options but it suits my needs so it is worth the tradeoff.
My engine will have around 600hp once it is done and I will run it like that for a while. If I break something or get bored I will figure out what I want to do, but a stroker build would be in the future, along with fuel injection and maybe a turbo. If I did turbo I would have to change the gears, but if not I shouldn't have to mess with the rear at all. It should be able to handle well over 4 digit power.

Reactions: 1 user

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
Best thing for you to do is keep an open mind and not set on a 9 bolt. I was looking for an 8.5 posi or a 12 bolt or the mustang swap i got lucky and found a 12bolt already modified for the g body for 400 bucks and filled it with a kit for 500 bucks in parts 900 bucks in labor another 400 for someone else to build it and reweld the axle tubes since i wasent sure about how well they were welded on. also make sure you check out Baseline for the 12 bolt or the 8.8 out of a stang. (which the 8.8 might be better for what you wanna do)
Thx man! Will do

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
How often are you planning to change the ring and pinion? What trans are you running? And how are you going from 500hp to 800hp?
I went with a Strange S60. They are less expensive than a 9" and take less power to turn because of the position of the pinion. The center section is a new casting that is lighter yet stronger than an original Dana 60. It has a 9.75 ring gear, which is tougher to change than a 9" but I'm not going to swap them out anytime soon. I ordered mine with the 35 spline pro race axles, 40s were an option. I wanted to do it once and do it right.
I have a 4L80e which should handle 800hp in its current form and has an overdrive, so I can run a deeper gear for the track and still be tolerable on the street. It takes more power to turn than most other options but it suits my needs so it is worth the tradeoff.
My engine will have around 600hp once it is done and I will run it like that for a while. If I break something or get bored I will figure out what I want to do, but a stroker build would be in the future, along with fuel injection and maybe a turbo. If I did turbo I would have to change the gears, but if not I shouldn't have to mess with the rear at all. It should be able to handle well over 4 digit power.
Nice set up! Turbo 400 trans. I was planing on having a 2 center sections. One setup for street for travel to other race tracks amd one for strip. Sounds like u got a great setup man!

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
Thx man!

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Nice set up! Turbo 400 trans. I was planing on having a 2 center sections. One setup for street for travel to other race tracks amd one for strip. Sounds like u got a great setup man!
Thanks. I was close to buying a 9" from Quick Performance. Close to the same price I paid. Considered a Turbo 400 for a long time but went with the overdrive. The stumbling block was the electronic control, but researched and found Jake's has a controller for $200, and I can swing that.
I think someone mentioned already, you could run a spool with your track center section and limited slip in the street one. That would be cool. For me, having an overdrive is more economical than buying two center sections.
Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor