92 Corvette LT1 and 6speed trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
U havent seen it because durring the era of LT1's boost was a fairly new thing.

Mainly you seen paxton superchargers

Paxton and Vortech kits for the LT1 back in the 90's and early 2000's were $5k + all the other bs. Paxton had a stupid Paxtamap add on injectors and controller which never did anything. You have to remember a lot of it was experimental back then as there were yet to be hand held tuners or LT1 edit yet. A lot of guys blew up there LT1's just because they were not able to get a tune.
My father had a 94 Z28 that he bought new. We changed out the 2.73's for 3.73's and it was darn near impossible to find anyone that could do a reflash to the pcm so that the speedometer and transmission calibrations were not thrown off.
People take a lot of the tuning stuff for granted now. Back then everyone was trying out different things (or band aids). The Mustang 5.0 guys had the same issues. To over come the fuel need they played around with larger injectors which require recalibration of the mass air curve. On super charged and turbocharged cars they would use an FMU (fuel management unit) and an MSD BTM (boost timing master). Both would come with the super charger kits and both were band airds.
H0kUDs_dlac.jpg
Paxtamap.jpg

Last edited:

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
.......on Fords.
Actually many people didn't even know if an F body was super charged unless they knew what the discharge tube looked like as the blower mounted on the lower left side. As such, it wasn't visible from the top side. This is a Paxton install. But I agree, Paxton and Vortech sold a lot more blowers for the 86-93 5.0 Mustangs than for any other car. I had several supercharged Mustangs and had an SN89 and several kinds of Vortech blowers (A trim, B trim. S trim, T trim)

Attachments

• LT1 blower.jpg
    LT1 blower.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 171

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I had some experience back in the day. It eventually ran great and was reliable. Got lots of attention when you popped the hood but was in no way a match for a turbo'd LS.
009.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I had some experience back in the day. It eventually ran great and was reliable. Got lots of attention when you popped the hood but was in no way a match for a turbo'd LS. View attachment 100560
Nice set up there! What kind of car was that in?
The SN series Paxton blowers were very low cfm. If you had one of the Novi 2000 or a Vortech S or T it would be a good match for a turbo LS. This is from personal experience :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That was my dad's El Camino. It wasn't even an LT1 kit to begin with. Lots of make-it-fit followed by lots of trial and error. It was basically just a long term learning experiment. It ran fine but I'd be surprised if it made more than 350hp.
It was actually just a chapter in a long volume of musical drivetrain combinations that was thrown at that car. He finally got bored with changing things around and sold it a few years ago.

Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
That was my dad's El Camino. It wasn't even an LT1 kit to begin with. Lots of make-it-fit followed by lots of trial and error. It was basically just a long term learning experiment. It ran fine but I'd be surprised if it made more than 350hp.
It was actually just a chapter in a long volume of musical drivetrain combinations that was thrown at that car. He finally got bored with changing things around and sold it a few years ago.
Well the results look great. It probably made more than what you are giving it credit for. I know my very first blower was a Paxton SN89 on my 92 LX Mustang added approximately 110 horse power on 6lbs of boost. It was enough to take the car from 13.80's to 12.20's. That was probably one of the best bolt ons as it didn't require a lot of effort.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor