98~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

a87ss305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2017
Wausau, WI
I am duplicating this mod on my 87 Monte. After getting the parts home from the salvage yard, I took the current bearings off their respective knuckles and one side had an o-ring on the hub of the bearing and the other did not. I decided to install new bearings which came with new O-rings. However, when I tried to bolt the new hub on with the o-ring in place the o-ring kept the hub from seating to the steering knuckle. When I attempt to install the hub without the o-ring in place it fits perfectly. I'm guessing the o-ring should be left out but want to confirm I'm not missing something here?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I am duplicating this mod on my 87 Monte. After getting the parts home from the salvage yard, I took the current bearings off their respective knuckles and one side had an o-ring on the hub of the bearing and the other did not. I decided to install new bearings which came with new O-rings. However, when I tried to bolt the new hub on with the o-ring in place the o-ring kept the hub from seating to the steering knuckle. When I attempt to install the hub without the o-ring in place it fits perfectly. I'm guessing the o-ring should be left out but want to confirm I'm not missing something here?
I had the same issue when test fitting mine. Once I install them I'm gonna run a thin layer of high temp RTV between the spindle and backing plate, then another thin layer between the backing plate and hub. The reason for the O ring is to keep moisture out, if sealed with RTV it'll do the same thing.

Reactions: 3 users

a87ss305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2017
Wausau, WI
I had the same issue when test fitting mine. Once I install them I'm gonna run a thin layer of high temp RTV between the spindle and backing plate, then another thin layer between the backing plate and hub. The reason for the O ring is to keep moisture out, if sealed with RTV it'll do the same thing.
That was exactly what I figured I would do if I didn't get a solid answer. I'm thinking that the o-ring must be for a different application that these hubs can also be used for and we don't use them for our application.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That was exactly what I figured I would do if I didn't get a solid answer. I'm thinking that the o-ring must be for a different application that these hubs can also be used for and we don't use them for our application.
The hubs that you bought...can you see through the center? If so they're the 4we hubs. I bought mine off Ebay for a 2wd app but they are the same. Basically the 2wd hubs have a plug in the center. I found some freeze plugs that fit tight, coated them with sealant and tapped them in. If I can find a pic I'll update it.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
are you using the dust plate or not?
Yes, I will be. My blazer brakes are downstairs in boxes. I'm having a struggle with cracking my brake lines open. My car has new brakes all the way around and it stops fine, but I went into impulse mode a few years back and gathered all the stuff for the blazer brakes.

Reactions: 1 user

a87ss305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2017
Wausau, WI
The hubs that you bought...can you see through the center? If so they're the 4we hubs. I bought mine off Ebay for a 2wd app but they are the same. Basically the 2wd hubs have a plug in the center. I found some freeze plugs that fit tight, coated them with sealant and tapped them in. If I can find a pic I'll update it.
No the ones I bought came with the plugs in them so I figure they can't be the 4wd version. The weird thing is when you look on NAPA's website at the pics the 4wd hubs are pictured without a o-ring and the 2wd hubs are pictured with an o-ring.

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Are you saying the 4WD hubs are fine to use with an expansion plug?
Are you saying the o-ring should fit with one or the other, in the 2WD spindles?

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Are you saying the 4WD hubs are fine to use with an expansion plug?
Are you saying the o-ring should fit with one or the other, in the 2WD spindles?
Don't see why they wouldn't work. As mentioned I bought hubs for a 2wd and they came with O rings, but the O rings are thick! I'm just gonna run a bead of high temp RTV as I don't plan on driving in the rain.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor