98~05 Blazer brake upgrade! DONE!

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
nice ..
mkube396 said:
nycutlass said:
fast question ..by doing this swap does it change your wheel base width from stock width ? has anyone checked this at all ?

nope every thing is the same.. but you do need to have your alignment done

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
South Buffalo / West seneca NY
for an update I have been driving for a few months now with the new set up and had a frend, my bro drive and feel it.. and the expression i get is just WoW my bro drive a 84 TA it got him excited to do his brake upgrade!

preciador6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2012
California
I just did my SS and my friend El Camino they make a real diference when stoping there great..I have an extra set for sale here in California.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
i'm hitting pull a part after work to hit up a few blazers for as much of this setup as possible..i should definitely have the knuckles today...

is it a 3/8 hex socket to get the calipers off the blazer? just trying to figure out what i need to take with me b/c i hate dragging both of my toolboxes..

preciador6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2012
California
Take it off complete 3 screws cut the fluid hose.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZHJEEE94gg)r+EBPjMStCg+g~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqZHJEEE94gg)r+EBPjMStCg+g~~60_1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,422
Reactions: 1 user

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
lg1200 said:
i'm hitting pull a part after work to hit up a few blazers for as much of this setup as possible..i should definitely have the knuckles today...

is it a 3/8 hex socket to get the calipers off the blazer? just trying to figure out what i need to take with me b/c i hate dragging both of my toolboxes..
you need a mini sledge or nice hammer, ball joint separator, 18 or 19 mm (or 3/4), cant remember off top of my head, and then one bigger socket (like a 21 mm. but not sure), i can tell by looking and then just end up grabbing the right size without paying attention, so just bring everything from 17 up... wire cutters work great for cutting the hard line side of the brake line, then bend it, so that the fluid does not leak out and all over the place... you'll need a small socket for the bolt holding the small frame brackets on if you want those... check the hubs, no sense in paying for them if they are def bad, sometimes you cant tell, but often times you can! if they are bad, i think those bolts are 17mm, i can check if you need me to, i have some spindles etc laying around.

make sure its a 98-05 2wd

-you will want to take off the sway bar ends, first so that the lower a arm can drop when it needs to
-then remove the three cotter pins out the three nuts on the spindle
-take the nuts off the tie rod end
-take the nut off the upper ball joint/spindle
-use a ball joint separator (if you have one) to separate the upper ball joint from the spindle
-if you dont have a ball joint separator, then a heavy hammer will work, just be careful not to damage the spindle
-the lower control arm and spindle will drop
-take off the nut on the lower ball joint/spindle
-use the ball joint separator to loosen the ball joint from the spindle
-push the top of the spindle back toward the frame, so that you can pull it up and off the lower a arm and clear the bottom of the dust shield...

crescent wrench and visegrips are you friends and a must for any yard trip

I may be forgetting something, but I doubt it, ive pulled a ton of these, so if you need any help or wanna talk on the phone, pm me you info

while you're there grab yourself a jeep shaft, bring a 1/2 wrench (ratcheting if you have it), 1/2 socket with extension to remove the air cleaner box

Reactions: 1 user

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
oh and grab you a tire or something comfortable to sit on and relax, take your time and go step by step, so you dont get so frustrated with it

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
also grab the blazer bump stop from the lower control arm if its in good condtion, its made of better material almost like the energy suspension kind and they look better too. The stock ones look like they were just chopped off a big wedge while those are nicely formed with the edges rounded off. you will see what I am talking about when you see them :rofl:

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Does anyone know the part number for the factory blazer dust shields? Haven't been able to find a decent rust free set.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
V6UnderPressure said:
Does anyone know the part number for the factory blazer dust shields? Haven't been able to find a decent rust free set.
nope but ill check to see if i have a set, i dont use them, but may have thrown them away... if i do, you pay the shipping and they are yours

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor