!980 Grand LeMans Safari

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
Can anyone tell me what the wire is that was bolted to the transmission case on this car? The motor was a 229 chevy 3.8.
It looks just like a negative battery cable, but goes under neath the car.

CartmanTD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2012
Catonsville, Maryland
It is an additional engine ground wire. It should run from the bellhousing to the frame rail. It isn't required but extra ground wires can never hurt in my opinion

crazy'boutOlds

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2008
Youngstown, Ohio
well, I got my engine side mounts today. They are the same style as the previous ones. I guess it just wasn't supposed to be. I'll just stick to what I'm comfortable with. :(

mattyg412

n00b
Mar 18, 2012
The engine mounts for a 3.8 229 Chevy are probably the same as for small block Chevy because the 229 is a 305 with 2 cylinders cut off like how the 4.3 Chevy v6 is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Are you positive that you have the correct frame side mounts and they are in the correct location.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,279

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I picked up new frame side mounts from Summit for about $6 each

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,292

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Did you buy Pontiac specific frame side mounts? I doesn't make sense that it won't drop in. The Firebird mounts should have lined up too. The motor would have just set a little higher. You sure you don't want to give its little closer look to see why it's not fitting?

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I suppose that could be the problem. I would think that no matter how good the design is, it's not going to fit as well as bolting directly to the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor