A/C controls vacuum switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
My air conditioning won't blow out of the center vents (only defrost). I've checked the vacuum lines and everything seems fine. My mechanic says the vacuum switch on the back of the climate controls is prone to going bad, but I can't seem to find this in stores. Does it go by another name?

thanks in advance.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Try opgi.com

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

Attachments

• 0731140926.jpg
    0731140926.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 393

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Just suggesting, I didn't know what year his was

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Lue said:
on opgi they have them both for 1978-1985 85-87

nice. i need to replace mine. the knob broke off for the fan speed control and all i have is this little stump of a control.

whats the difference between the years?

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I saw on opgi that the whole units were like 60 bucks which is a pretty good deal. Unfortunately I'm not sure that anything is wrong with mine. It appears the "Switch" i was referring to is something mechanical that merely re-routes the vacuum, it doesn't appear to have failed in anyway. The "blend door" can be manually opened by hand or by sucking on the tube and pinching the line to hold a vacuum. However even with this door open the air is not blowing through the center vents at all. You'd almost think the tubing to route it there was missing.

I dont understand...

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Chillin014 said:
It appears the "Switch" i was referring to is something mechanical that merely re-routes the vacuum, it doesn't appear to have failed in anyway. The "blend door" can be manually opened by hand or by sucking on the tube and pinching the line to hold a vacuum. However even with this door open the air is not blowing through the center vents at all. You'd almost think the tubing to route it there was missing.

I dont understand...

I think the switch you are refering to is called the vent vacuum actuator. There are 3, and they help re-route air controls by opening/closing flaps in the vents. I believe there was a thread on here on how to tell if there were bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor