A/C-Heat air box r&r

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Just curious, how difficult is it to remove a non-A/C air box and install an air box with A/C while the sbc is still in the car? I am sure it would be much easier without the engine, but I don't want to pull the engine if I don't have to. Would I have to remove the inner fender well?, and the header on that side?
'78 GMC Caballero

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With the motor in place you'll have a higher chance of cracking/breaking to boxes doing the r&r.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Thank you guys, I am not sure if, and or when I might possibly want to do this, but it sure would be nice to have A/C in that old girl. With all of the other upgrades I am doing, I should at least consider A/C. I realize this also requires an A/C dashboard with vents and ducting, compressor and the works. Currently my local wrecking yard has two A/C gbody vehicles in stock.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im sure it could be done with the motor still in as long as the header is off and the inner fender is removed. And yeah, the hood off would probably help too. Much easier to take trim off and the plastic on the cowl. Its really easy with no motor but I was standing over the spindle when I did most of mine.

Reactions: 1 user

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Im sure it could be done with the motor still in as long as the header is off and the inner fender is removed. And yeah, the hood off would probably help too. Much easier to take trim off and the plastic on the cowl. Its really easy with no motor but I was standing over the spindle when I did most of mine.
Thank you, mikester.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm going to say yank the hood, and 90% of things can be solved from the top without pulling the whole box and inner fender. You can replace the heater and A/C cores as well as clean out the condensate drain and reseal the cowl.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I'm going to say yank the hood, and 90% of things can be solved from the top without pulling the whole box and inner fender. You can replace the heater and A/C cores as well as clean out the condensate drain and reseal the cowl.
My Cab is currently a non-A/C car, but I would like to have A/C installed. Don't know if a Vintage Air or other brand A/C would work, but a GM A/C air box would certainly fit, and be up out of the way. A little extra crowding in the engine bay I guess, but it would at least look like it belongs. I dislike the stock style dashboard and want something different anyway, so why not?
As for cleaning the air box drain, I do need to do that. I swapped the heater blower fan several weeks ago and forgot to clean the air box at that time.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I dislike the stock style dashboard and want something different anyway, so why not?
Put a Grand Prix dash in when you change over to A/C, just find a Grand Prix & pull everything cause you'll be pulling the dash to change the duct work anyways.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My Cab is currently a non-A/C car, but I would like to have A/C installed. Don't know if a Vintage Air or other brand A/C would work, but a GM A/C air box would certainly fit, and be up out of the way. A little extra crowding in the engine bay I guess, but it would at least look like it belongs. I dislike the stock style dashboard and want something different anyway, so why not?
As for cleaning the air box drain, I do need to do that. I swapped the heater blower fan several weeks ago and forgot to clean the air box at that time.

Mikes Montes has the complete gasket and seal kit for the AC box. Theres another good thread here showing a complete redo of a box. One thing you should do that I didnt the first time I had it apart is get some AC insulation from Lowes or HD and put it on the evaporator. Theres also a small ground wire that goes to the heater core from the firewall that I forgot about. I didnt do either one of those things and wound up taking the whole thing apart to fix those two issues.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor