a/c ian an lt1 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt1cutlass

n00b
Apr 7, 2012
can someone lend me some advice?
i have an 87 cutlass supreme (euro). i swapped in a lt1 from a 94 caprice cop car (9c1)
im havin a ball with it, but i had to put on an ac delete pulley because the compressor was hitting the frame rail
i really want ac in it but im not sure what fits or where to look.
any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Easiest/cheapest option is to notch your crossmember and use a factory Caprice compressor.

lt1cutlass

n00b
Apr 7, 2012
im not interested in cutting the framework in the car, but i have see it done on a regal, seems to me that would weaken the frame, and with a fair amount of horsepower i just cant see cutting the frame ending with favorable results

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm certainly not recommending that you just torch out a huge section of your framerail or crossmember. I was referring to a proper notch and fill. Something similar to the clearancing that SRD art did for his header interference. About half way down the page: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29235&start=165 . I highly doubt you'll be making anywhere near enough power to break a frame. LT1s have a pretty compact accessory drive system so there aren't many good clean options. So you'll need to either notch your frame or possibly convert to a complete Corvette system that has everything on the driver's side (not cheap).

lt1cutlass

n00b
Apr 7, 2012
oh ok i see what you mean now, he's a true artist it seems... i think a project like that is way out of my skill and equipment range, but i certainly appreciate your info and suggestions.. ill post pics of my car on here once i figure out how to navigate this site.. today is my first day lol Thanks again!!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you'll like it here. Tons of good info and some really talented builders.

stuckincincy

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2011
Greater Cincinnati area
I'm doing this same swap in an 86 Monte Carlo SS. The factory Caprice compressor just barely touched the frame. I just heated the frame up a little with an acetylene torch and dimpled a 6 inch long section about 1/4 to 3/8 inch with a small 2lb sledge which gave me plenty of clearance for belt changes and to run the P/S hoses between the compressor and the frame. It can be done with out the torch, the heat just makes it more malleable. I replaced the factory compressor an aftermarket one and the clutch design was a little different. It was a little longer on the front and little smaller diameter that actually would have cleared the frame with out dimpling it, but wouldn't allow for the P/S return hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor