A Damn Dead Battery. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Well I went to start my car this morning and the battery was dead. I thought it was the new radio I just installed. The radio blew a fuse, I swapped the fuse with a new and then took the radio out altogether. Spent all day on slow charger. Got it started took it for a 10-15 min drive. Cut the car off, tried to start right back up and the battery is dead as a doornail.

I got the multimeter out and its reading low 12's at the batt with car off. With car running the alt is reading less than 12v and batt 12.4-5ish

What could it be? My alternator is brand new and it has less than 2 hours street time on it.
Is the charging system connected to a fuse?

king-david

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2009
Dumb question.. but did you have the connections tight? Secondly... sometimes if you drain a battery down far enough, you cant charge it. Take it to your local auto parts to test it.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
keep yer recipets! i just got a duralast battery with a 4 year warrenty from auto zone. my battery should last a year if im lucky :roll: :lol:

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
The batt connections are always tight.I Double check that almost every day.

I never heard of a battery being too low to charge. Thats new 2 me.

When I got this car last year the guy said it had a new battery and is under warranty and to just use his name.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Aww man. The fix was something so simple. When I changed out the fuse for the radio yesterday,looks like I left the power connector to the fuse box unplugged. I feel stupid.

Mar 30, 2010
glad u got it fixed now u need to put some new rims on it or at least take that yellow backing plate out thouse things are plain fugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor