AC in Vegas only blowing 62 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
After doing some research, I'm betting that when I replaced the evap core, I didnt do a good job at sealing the top of the box back down. I'm thinking there is air leaking from where the seal should be and thats why I'm getting air from the vent up by the windshield. This still doesnt explain the air coming not coming from the vents. Thinking of changing the vacuum ball under the hood and blower control switch by the radio.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Wondering if I could bypass the canister all together and connect the purple and gray hoses.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The vacuum switches the vents; the blend door is a cable. Are you sure it's closing off the heater core? I hope you figure it out as I'm in the same boat.
Do you have a fan shroud? Does it cool better if you rev it Some? Does it work going down the road better than idle? All those point to the condenser not getting enough air.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
I’m getting AC, just not as cold as I expected. During the day, at highway speeds, I’m getting around 55, at night, 50. I don’t have a shroud and it does cool if I rev it. At idle, I’m around 65. Newer cars are at almost 45 or lower during the day while driving. I’m also suspecting that the condenser has everything to do with how cold it can get. If I could redo it, I’d use a condenser from a newer car and have the lines refitted. I may try to do that when I get home and chalk up the $80 on the condenser I have now.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
The vacuum switches the vents; the blend door is a cable. Are you sure it's closing off the heater core? I hope you figure it out as I'm in the same boat.
Do you have a fan shroud? Does it cool better if you rev it Some? Does it work going down the road better than idle? All those point to the condenser not getting enough air.
What is yours doing exactly? What have you replaced?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My whole system is new minus a reman compresor and the lineset. All from a 2002 Firebird. I have electric fans, but they don't come on high with AC call, just low. I have to see if I can change it in the computer. That, and I have to modify the core support to access the high pressure port, so I can see what's going on.

You would benefit by putting a fan shroud on for sure. Check your blend door adjustment to make sure it's blocking the heat.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
My whole system is new minus a reman compresor and the lineset. All from a 2002 Firebird. I have electric fans, but they don't come on high with AC call, just low. I have to see if I can change it in the computer. That, and I have to modify the core support to access the high pressure port, so I can see what's going on.

You would benefit by putting a fan shroud on for sure. Check your blend door adjustment to make sure it's blocking the heat.
I’m assuming you have it wired up correctly with the relays and that? I can post a picture of how my buddy set up mine if you think it’ll help.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Success! It was a vacuum issue but I never messed with it before it stopped blowing through the vents. This is what I did to get it back blowing through the middle. It still blows from the bottom some but I’m okay with that. As far as interior temp goes, I’m looking at fans that clip to the dashboard. After reading reviews, it sounds like this will bring the temp down a good notch. I’ll keep posted.

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Vacuum set up. Still no air from the passenger side vents and a good leak behind the glovebox by the hvac system. Right on top of where the hot and cold blend door control is.

Attachments

• 52FBCB68-46FE-4F80-B568-882FD05C08CC.jpeg
    52FBCB68-46FE-4F80-B568-882FD05C08CC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145

20Grand

Apprentice
Mar 16, 2018
Tomorrow I’m going to try and install a condenser from a newer Grand Prix and maybe a new drier to see if that helps with cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor