Add On gauges - Mechancal or Electric?

Aftermarket gauges - Mechanical or Electric? And Why.....

• Mechanical

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Electric

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I typically utilize good quality electric gauges & sending units. I don't have any technical argument either way and I'm indifferent on the subject as stated by Flemming. I will say that the electric gauges are easier to install due to ease of routing the wires. My 'go to' brand of gauges has always been the VDO gauges. In the past said gauges were manufactured in Germany to top notch quality standards. I'm not sure if this is still the case these days and I'm sure that someone will chime in. Btw, the VDO gauges in my Regal have been installed and working since the eighties..

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Digital from Summit.
8-17-2010%20036.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So, you want more than the granny speedo and want a triple panel set.
Let's say oil, temp, and volts.What's your choice, and why?
So are you looking at specific brands or just at what your local Autoparts store carries?
I do feel among the top brands it ends up being more of personal preference thing and even on my Monte I have upgraded a couple of my mechanical gauges to Autometer's top electrical gauges such as fuel pressure and even my water temp. the electrical gauges give you more mounting options such as pillar mounts etc.
I also have some Cyberdyne digital gauges in my Lincoln and they are still working great after many years.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
so if you like things easy is that why you put a 454 in your GP.....:D

Because it was an easy install--it literally dropped right into place, on OEM-replacement Anchor motor mounts, just as if the factory had intended it to be there from the beginning.

Reactions: 2 users

1badgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I usually use mechanical gauges because I rip everything out and start over; however, I have a second gen camaro that I went with electric gauges and I like the electric gauges a lot more. More of a pain in the *ss to wire but much better than running oil pressure tubing and worrying about kinking the temp sensor line. I've had many mechanical gauge failures, so I can't say that they're more reliable. No problems with the electric gauges as of yet and they seem to actually be more accurate as far as I can tell.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I usually use mechanical gauges because I rip everything out and start over; however, I have a second gen camaro that I went with electric gauges and I like the electric gauges a lot more. More of a pain in the *ss to wire but much better than running oil pressure tubing and worrying about kinking the temp sensor line. I've had many mechanical gauge failures, so I can't say that they're more reliable. No problems with the electric gauges as of yet and they seem to actually be more accurate as far as I can tell.

what was the brand of the mechanical pumps and what was the cause of their failure. We ran mechanical gauges in all the circle track cars we built and through all the crashes where front and rear clips were bent no gauge ever failed.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So are you looking at specific brands or just at what your local Autoparts store carries?

I've had both, running mechanical in my Willys right now.
Came across a set of Autometer Sport Comps mechanical gauges for decent coin, but waited too long and they're gone now.
As I'll have to build a spot for them, I'll prob go electric either VDO or Autometer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor