advice about placing cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2015
Hi guys.hello from the netherlands again.
I have a question. I want to upgrade my 305 a little bit.and before you all start....i know get a 350....

I just want to let my 305 run a little better and renew a little bit and let it run better and with luck extra hp .its for my 78 cutlass calais with a th200 and stock rearaxle

I already have a 2701 edelbrock performer manifold ready to put on and a holley 600.gonna replace the waterpump and balancer.and i will place flowtech shorty headers .the rest is dual exhaust with trush open dempers.

The cam i m thinking of is this one

Stage 1 hydraulic stoter camshaft Edelbrock Performer 2101, sbc cam. Can keep my stock valvesprings.valvelift is 0.420" intake and 0.443" exhaust, lobe 112 degrees.a almost stock cam but more valvelift
I think its a fairly good combo.and if i want more power and torque in the future i can swap it on the 350

Just want good info no jackass reply's

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
First off how many miles are on the stock valve springs ? Also new lifters would be required.
You get some extra valve lift by going to 1.6 ratio rockers instead of 1.5...
Too much lift on the stock springs can cause coil bind issues.

patrick1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2015
Hi thanks for replying.
The engine run about 122000 km.
The lifters are included in the camshaft kit.
Would it run better with that combination i mentioned. Or do you think otherwise

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I think you will be disappointed with the results unless your cam is wore out. I think you should find out what gear you have in your rear and would be happier changing that. A 3.08 ratio would be a nice gear and be a happy medium between city and hi way. I know fuel is @ a premium there.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your planning on installing a 350 in the future I would leave the 305 as is and keep your money for the 350

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
I have to agree with the masses above me. The 305 is not a real performance motor so to speak.
The idea to save the money for the 350 is a valid one. That was my decision.
I had a 305 in my 87. pulled the 305 and 200R4 on the eve of chevy's 100th anniversary.
A GM performance crate 350 went in with a rebuilt TH 350 out of an 86 chevy C10.
The motor was about $1950 and the trans cost me $400.
This motor puts out 330 H.p and over 285 lb ft of torque. And even with my lower gears
2.41 it still runs very good. A 3.08 or 3.23 is in mind.
This is just to give you an idea of what you could do.
And understand your 305 has limitations. Putting a cam in it might make it run worse without
upgrading other more critical components....

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Do the intake carb and headers and exhaust first. You will gain nothing by changing the water pump and balancer except spending money for nothing. Save the money on the cam and lifters and put it towards a 350 even if its a stock one it will make more power and torque then a hopped up 305. You might look of a later motor that's set up for a hyd. roller cam and go from their.

patrick1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2015
Oke thanks for replying everyone....
I will do intake.headers and carb. And try how its runs.its a nice little famaly cruiser for the weekends.when i can find a good 350 i will concider it.
I came from always driving fullsize vans to this nice cutlass
The quadrajet was beaten up and since i had a holley 1850 lying it was easy but it don't drive well with the spreadbore spacer inbetween.so i bought a new intake and headers for more v8 sound and flow.
So i will post how it turned out.
oh and i will post pics of my original 14" ralleys rear rims from 6 to 8 "

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor