aftermarket carb swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Is it possible to just swap over an edlebrock or demon carb to replace the factory q-jet? Emissions complanice is necessary where I live. Is it a direct bolt on or will mods be needed to make it work, ie cruse control. any body do this? or is it cheaper and easier to send it out to JET performance for the stage 2 rebuild and mod? thanks

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
If you have to pass emission tests and are looking for ease, I'd stick with a Q-Jet. There are several companies that sell rebuilt units, as well as Jet. Just my .02.

I believe you'd have to put in an aftermarket intake to get an Edelbrock (Carter AFB) to work without an adapter plate. I'm not sure about the Demon.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I believe you are stuck with the Qjet since it is a feedback carb. That doesn't mean it's impossible to pass the sniffer test with another style carb but they won't pass a visual check.
And In my opinion if the engine is fully emissions compliant, you won't do any better than the Qjet.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Yeah its just a visual inspection, so I guess its a gonna be off to JET performance when the time comes. Or if I hit the lottery I can go Atomic EFI, or just swap in something bigger

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yeah its just a visual inspection, so I guess its a gonna be off to JET performance when the time comes. Or if I hit the lottery I can go Atomic EFI, or just swap in something bigger

Sigh, a reman carb is about the worst thing you can do to your car. Have the original carb rebuilt by a carb shop that knows what they are doing. Those aftermarket EFI systems are not low emission approved and a inspector would fail you. Any performance part has to have either a CARB or EPA approval for your year and model. Only choice is CCC, GM TBI, or GM TPI.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Alright. WTF. TIE Pilot and Flyers, I should formally throw around warning points and all that but at the moment I'm having to do this quick-like. So, can you guys please edit your posts and remove the name calling and other personal attacks.... OK to disagree, but there's no need for it. thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor