AHH!!OVERHEATING!!! PICS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
the part number was right but the part was wrong. When I reved the engine the rad level would drop but there was no flow

oh i see, so what do i ask for at napa?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I checked the pump to make sure I was right then I got a replacement. I took off the back cover to check the impeller to make sure it was right.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
I checked the pump to make sure I was right then I got a replacement. I took off the back cover to check the impeller to make sure it was right.

Ohhhh thats going to be a headache for me...lmao...i have another stock water pump lying around in the garage..i can ck that one....but the one i got on know is a stock water pump too...got it at pepboys...it was like 46.99..but i do have the water pump that come with the 350

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know if that is your problem but it sure had me confused. I think you said the level would drop but no flow so I thought I'd mention it.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
CWPottenger said:
Also just a note for you. the sensor you have a picture of is a single wire sensor, meaning that it uses the engine block as a ground. You used teflon tape to install the fitting adapter and the sensor. this will cause the sensor to always be wrong at best and non-op at worst. Those are tapered fittings which means they seal tighter the farther threaded in. No tape is supposed to be used.

Ahhhhhh very good catch!!!! know that will have to wait till tomorrow morning when im home on thanksgiving chillin...gives me something to do....thats a good catch... :wink: thank u sir!!

i said that too in my first response :rofl:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
richp85elco said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
CWPottenger said:
Also just a note for you. the sensor you have a picture of is a single wire sensor, meaning that it uses the engine block as a ground. You used teflon tape to install the fitting adapter and the sensor. this will cause the sensor to always be wrong at best and non-op at worst. Those are tapered fittings which means they seal tighter the farther threaded in. No tape is supposed to be used.

Ahhhhhh very good catch!!!! know that will have to wait till tomorrow morning when im home on thanksgiving chillin...gives me something to do....thats a good catch... :wink: thank u sir!!

i said that too in my first response :rofl:

Does the thermostat look good

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You cant look at a thermostat and tell if its good or not unless theres a glaring issue like a broken spring, etc. Best bet is to drop it in a pot of water and set your stove for 180* or whatever temp its supposed to open and make sure it does open. I always buy 2 or 3 and test them all before hand too make sure they work.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
-83MONTESS- said:
You cant look at a thermostat and tell if its good or not unless theres a glaring issue like a broken spring, etc. Best bet is to drop it in a pot of water and set your stove for 180* or whatever temp its supposed to open and make sure it does open. I always buy 2 or 3 and test them all before hand too make sure they work.

Well i just went outside to add water and run it and fans still didnt turn on...the gauge is moving at its normal speed which is good, not jumping, but i had a leak at the neck, so here we go!!!...

Went out side got my buddy, removed the neck and dropped the thermo back in and yes u can see it drop, so it is working......cuase the rad fluid in the intake was hottttttt!!! ouch!!!...when it hit 230 i shut it down and got some back fire!! :wtf: with the cap off an rad fluid came out of radiator gushing kinda white..!!!! :wtf:

took off the sensor, took off the tape, put it back on, turned the key and fans still wont come on...if its reading right the fans should turn on at 180 and the gauge reads 230...but i think i fixed the leak by putting back the thrmostat, o-ring probley bad.....

im just so stressed out, and at work, worried if im going to make it home or blow a gasket!!!

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
So now we know the thermostat works, im thinking its a bad fan intake sensor...its probley not reading the temp correctly and not turning it on till 260 plus when the cars all hot.. if the fans turn on when they suppose to it should keep the car kool...i wont know till i order another sensor, they dont just sell them at our local autoparts, i need to get on ebay or summit...so i think i will be able to get home, becuase its like were i was before...as long as im driving and air coming throught the front its koo...i will try to figure it out tomorrow once im home...why my fans wont turn on....wish i had a stich to manualy turn them on and off when i feel like i need too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor