GRAND PRIX Aluminum hood anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Is it the black one with the red interior I think was yours?
No....I wish. It is/was Agate Red with black cloth. "Had" a landau lat was removed.
I'm thinking of using the floors for my 4 speed.
It was a race car, spent some time in Belgium and needs everything but floors and frame.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 78 to 80 cars seem to have many more aluminum parts, very dark times. My 88 Brougham has nothing aluminum except the wheels, weighs 3750 pounds, no light weight.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Wow... An aluminum hood, so it isn't an urban legend! Now only if we can verify if the trunk lid ever came in aluminum.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Awesome GP!
I've never heard of or seen an aluminum GP trunk lid... Only the '78-'80 Monte trunk.
Well, 78-80 regal had an aluminum trunk lid as well... so it wouldn't be shocking.

It's ironic. For all the relative lack of materials coatings and protection on these late 70s cars, things like those aluminum core supports, the diesel cutlass alum hoods, these aluminum decklids, etc, didn't have all the galvanic corrosion problems the "superior" modern cars seem to.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

TomDisab

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2016
My take on aluminum components is this:

I believe they were used when a car was equipped with a specific set of optional content OR when it's projected build weight would put it in a category where they would be in trouble with CAFE standards. There seems to be no other logical explanation for the seeming randomness of which cars have them and which don't.

'Course, i could be talking out my tailpipe and not have a clue.

As a retired GM assembly employee (soon to be demolished Wilmington, DE) I can offer this possible explanation... There were several times over the years there that certain "batches" of cars would be made with engineering "try out " components. For instance, air bags on '76 big cars. At my own plant plastic windshield lace on some '80's B bodies (if you recall GM used metal for years). On the Corsica for a time we filled the windshield posts with foam. While we tracked the changes through the plant, to my knowledge there was never an active follow up once they left the plant. I wish I could think of a few more but you get the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor