Aluminum parts - where to get em, used or aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bout aluminum steering shafts (are those even a thing??). Even though thered hardley be a real weight reduction. LOL
Assuming this is a street car and not a dedicated drag car if the point to lighten it up with aluminum parts is to make it slightly faster by reducing body weight what few parts that will fit will be extremely pricey and you would be better off spending the money on a bigger engine.
And if you went the more affordable fiberglass route any "race only" parts used on the street without reinforcement could compromise your safety.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Probably spend less AND save more weight by putting a set of aluminum heads on it over buying OE aluminum crash parts

• Agree
Cool, thanks for the tips, guys

The aluminum parts are extremely rare, as mentioned by others. As far as I know, they were mainly used on the older A body versions, from 1978 to 1980, although you might see the occasional item after 1980. GM used them on some of the earlier diesel engined cars, because the diesel engine was heavier, and they wanted to save weight. I went to look at a '78 Monte Carlo last year, and that car had an aluminum trunk lid. Some of the Olds Cutlass models came out of the factory with aluminum hoods. Some of the aluminum rad supports can be identified by an "A" which is stamped in the top of the rad support near where the rad cap is located towards the passenger side. I managed to find an aluminum rad support last year (thanks Kevin!), after a long search. These parts are very hard to find. If you're looking to save weight, as others have already mentioned, you're probably better off to look for aftermarket items that are either aluminum or fiberglass. Just be careful not to compromise the safety of the vehicle. Good luck.

The aluminum parts are extremely rare, as mentioned by others. As far as I know, they were mainly used on the older A body versions, from 1978 to 1980, although you might see the occasional item after 1980. GM used them on some of the earlier diesel engined cars, because the diesel engine was heavier, and they wanted to save weight. I went to look at a '78 Monte Carlo last year, and that car had an aluminum trunk lid. Some of the Olds Cutlass models came out of the factory with aluminum hoods. Some of the aluminum rad supports can be identified by an "A" which is stamped in the top of the rad support near where the rad cap is located towards the passenger side. I managed to find an aluminum rad support last year (thanks Kevin!), after a long search. These parts are very hard to find. If you're looking to save weight, as others have already mentioned, you're probably better off to look for aftermarket items that are either aluminum or fiberglass. Just be careful not to compromise the safety of the vehicle. Good luck.
Thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor