Aluminum Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I started to install one of those fancy three core aluminum radiators today but as usual did not have enough time to complete the job. So hard to find time these days. :| Any who, I have the radiator installed with the exception of the trans cooler lines. The issue that I encountered here is that the bungs that are welded into the radiator appear to be one size too big. Is this common? Maybe some type of thread savi technique? Is there some sort of reducer flared available for this? I can’t ever remember seeing any kind of flared reducer. If there is one available at the local mega home store, what size do I need?

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
what size is the trans line you have? 5/16?

also does it look like pipe thread or is it an inverted flare?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The bung in the radiator is an inverted flare and the transmission line is the stock line that I used a .5 inch wrench to remove...

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
foxtrot_lima_bravo said:
The bung in the radiator is an inverted flare and the transmission line is the stock line that I used a .5 inch wrench to remove...

sounds like a 5/16 inch line

i would suggest a standard 3/8ths line fitting if the fitting you have is just too small. that would be a 5/8 18 line fitting, either an adapter from 1/2 20 to 5/8 18 or if you have a double flaring tool you can buy a tube nut with the 5/8 18 thread but the 5/16" line size

edit: brain fart, my line sizes were 1 off

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
thanks for the info. I don't have the correct flare tool... The radiator is for a g-body thats why I'm surprised that the stock lines didn't fit... Sort of sux because I don't have any time as it is..

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
try a blf24c at autozone

im thinking its that or a blf21c

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Thanks agin!

After all of my complaining, I should state that this is still a good product and I will appreciate the cooling efficiency once it gets warm again...

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
foxtrot_lima_bravo said:
Thanks agin!

After all of my complaining, I should state that this is still a good product and I will appreciate the cooling efficiency once it gets warm again...

no problem,

good luck with it

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I purchsed it from a guy on eblay -- it has three cores and it looks like a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor