And you thought youve had bad days at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Per this article the bridge was demolished within 48 hours and traffic flow was restored, makes sense to me they didn't keep I-16 closed while rushing to build a new bridge as I've seen a good number of bridges be built/rebuilt over active traffic lanes (albeit sometimes traffic will be shut-down for a few hours for a big lift).

Any bridge engineers here? With that end of the bridge shifting by 6 feet, I'm curious what the building code says about lateral movement

snitmule

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2020
It'll be interesting to find out where this came from, or how the driver wasn't aware of his load...

View attachment 179735

Now the interstate is shut down both directions for at least the rest of the week. One direction has about a 24 mile detour through low traffic rural roads.

DOT is bringing in crews to demolish the entire bridge and do a temporary replacement. Not sure what a rush job with 2x 3x 4x OT or whatever it takes costs, or what a new bridge replacement over 100+ feet of interstate costs, but you can be sure it exceeds any insurance policies the driver was covered by.

Bridge shifted 6 feet off its supports...

View attachment 179736

I'm not sure what all equipment the weigh stations have, but this happened in between a pair of them. It's also a main artery out of the port.

View attachment 179737

Oh that looks bad.

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
Have part of a civil engineering degree completed. Didn't have the aptitude to finish, indeterminate structures was the killer. Yep that bridge is toast. Early Interstate bridges only had a 14'=X" clearance requirement, that was later raised to 16'-5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor