Another Blazer brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I will, Jim.
When I referred back to your thread, I also found Turna's thread on MR which was also informative.
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124945
I'm thinking the Blazer master cylinder should make the brakes function like they should using the Blazer brake setup. I also have the deep pedal syndrome. It stops okay, but I like the pedal to feel higher and firmer.
I really did not seriously consider going with rear discs, but the more I look into it, the more feasible it sounds...and the more efficient the braking will be. I know that the axle flanges will need to be modified by cutting the upper ear off and drilling the pattern for the 4-bolt design.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=201541810297

I'm looking hard at this kit. It's $50 less without drilled and slotted rotors and I've bought items from Inline Tube in the past and it was very good stuff. They also have good support. But this kit comes with parking brake cable that will keep the factory brakes in tact - that's somewhat important to me. And lastly, I believe it does not require cutting up the axle flange - I believe - which is somewhat important so that the brakes can be transferred over to the spare axle we have for a 1/2 day job of axle swap in the event of the previous mentioned grenading.

Some of that may sound kind of like overkill on having replacement parts, but I have a spare everything for this because of the miles and distance my kid puts on it, the HP, and lack of availability of parts - from a spare (stock) 200R4 and TC, alternator, p/s pump, alternator, fuel lines, FPR, injectors, radiator,etc. Most of the spare stuff isn't upto the task of what's on it, but for example I can get it home on a set 27lb injectors if needed. Same goes for the 7.5 and spare trans.

Keep track of your reciepts, I'm curious as I have my eye on another G-body that will need brakes :):)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
That does look like a nice kit...and like you said, it doesn't require having to cut the axle flanges, which I was always reluctant about doing.
I also like that it has a new parking brake cable setup, calipers, rotors, adapters, brake lines and hoses. All the required parts to make a direct conversion.. However, I'd like to be able to accomplish it on a tighter budget.
I still have my 200-4R project that I'd like to get to one of these days.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, I installed the new Blazer master cylinder, and to tell you the truth, I'm not impressed. My next step is to do a thorough bleeding of the system. I'm still experiencing a lot of pedal travel. The car does stop, however, but it takes a heavy foot.
I'll let you all know after I bleed out the system.
Btw, the master was carefully bench bled till the bubbles were all gone.

Reactions: 1 users

tony_ru

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2011
Moscow, Russia
Well, I installed the new Blazer master cylinder, and to tell you the truth, I'm not impressed. My next step is to do a thorough bleeding of the system. I'm still experiencing a lot of pedal travel. The car does stop, however, but it takes a heavy foot.
I'll let you all know after I bleed out the system.
Btw, the master was carefully bench bled till the bubbles were all gone.
So you installed new master and not bleed system after that?:)

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So you installed new master and not bleed system after that?:)
Yeah, I know. I usually do, but other than swapping out the master cylinder, I didn't disturb anything else. It just goes to show you...don't take short cuts. :unsure: Sometimes you try to outsmart yourself and bites you in the kiester.

Btw, is this Tony with the Siberian Malibu? Your car was looking good the last we saw of it. Post some more recent pics.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
With all that disc brake upgrades have in mind that the master cylinder diameter has to grow whenever you put on bigger calipers (in caliper piston dia.). That's hydraulic leverage.
I'll do the front Blazer update on my '85 Elky as soon as I find the Blazer spindles locally and with that the rear Blazer brake cylinders and corresponding Blazer master cylinder.

tony_ru

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2011
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, I know. I usually do, but other than swapping out the master cylinder, I didn't disturb anything else. It just goes to show you...don't take short cuts. :unsure:
You got air in brake tubes when you disconnect them, the point of bleeding is to get air out, it should not brake at all without bleeding

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You got air in brake tubes when you disconnect them, the point of bleeding is to get air out, it should not brake at all without bleeding
Believe it or not, the pedal isn't really spongy. Just seems to travel deeper than I like.
I will do a thorough bleeding starting in the rear...and re-adjust the rear shoes.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Believe it or not, the pedal isn't really spongy. Just seems to travel deeper than I like.
I will do a thorough bleeding starting in the rear...and re-adjust the rear shoes.

Bleeding order is from furthest to nearest in relation to the master cylinder.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bleeding order is from furthest to nearest in relation to the master cylinder.
Thanks Brian,
Yeah, I know. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. I know the drill and should know better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor