Another Ford better idea - they stole GM's concept except reliability

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Last I heard the current iteration of GM V8s were also really good at eating lifters at low mileage.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That's because the same manufacturer makes most of the OEM lifters. Hence all brands are having lifter issues

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Chinesium virus...

"but we can't have lifters made in China..." so the U.S. lifter companies put out the bids for materials and another company says yes, we can do it cheap...but what they don't tell them is where they souce the materials...next thing you know, the supply chain is so diluted nobody knows the origins of the materials in raw form. Hence, Chinesium makes it into nearly everything that's being made. Kinda like Covid. Everyone knows where it originated, just nobody has the ball sack to show the proof.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Chinesium virus...
Do not blame China for this. Blame the company who hired China to do this. The manufacturer is Just that and they only make what they are asked to make. It is up to the buyer to make sure the vendor has met the quality standards. I do not mean for this to be a rant but unless you know how the industry works. You have no credible voice in the matter.

I've seen this operation from the inside. As an example for a metal stamping operation. The jigs are not only owned by the company who wants the product but so is the quality confirming jigs and the procedure.

In this example GM has accepted the lifters to be made by whoever they chose. It is up to GM to say we want a certain quality and if it's not up to that quality, do not accept it.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
As an example, this jig is Owned by FCA. The company making the product is not FCA.
The procedures regarding quality are also put in place by FCA and the people working there have to follow it.

It does not happen often but a Chinese company can have parts made in the U.S. The part can be bad and you blame the U.S. No, you blame the Chinese company.

Where it was made is not the problem. It's the people buying them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230421_100015_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230421_100015_Gallery.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 93
Nov 4, 2012
Do not blame China for this. Blame the company who hired China to do this. The manufacturer is Just that and they only make what they are asked to make. It is up to the buyer to make sure the vendor has met the quality standards. I do not mean for this to be a rant but unless you know how the industry works. You have no credible voice in the matter.

I've seen this operation from the inside. As an example for a metal stamping operation. The jigs are not only owned by the company who wants the product but so is the quality confirming jigs and the procedure.

In this example GM has accepted the lifters to be made by whoever they chose. It is up to GM to say we want a certain quality and if it's not up to that quality, do not accept it.

Well, wait. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Or more specifically, who cheaped out? Did GM design a poor lifter and simply contract out their inadequate specifications? And the manufacturer simply made what GM told them to make?

Or...

Did GM give the manufacturer sufficient specifications and the Chinese manufacturer chose to ignore or modify those specs, or cut a corner and use a cheaper alloy, process, etc?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Quit acting like a d!ckhead and assuming people don't know what QC is. I've dealt in nuclear submarine operation and re-construction as a QC inspector, commercial nuclear plant operations and maintenance, supervised cradle-to-grave pharmaceutical/clean-room operations in a bio-tech facility, and all with NR, NRC, FDA and EU oversight. I'm pretty sure I am qualified to have a credible voice in the matter when it comes to quality control.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor