any stock cars on here actually run like NEW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
Does anyone on here have a car that is completely stock, engine/emission-wise..........that still runs, drives, and behaves like it did when it was brand new?
Seems the majority of people on here have cars that have been modified, like removing emissions equipment, or getting rid of the CCC system and running an aftermarket carb or older non-CCC quad (or dualjet).
And if you have a stock car that runs like new, what all emissions parts or external engine parts have you had to replace, to keep it running like new?
After I do a basic rebuild of this engine (rear main is leaking), I want to do all i can to make this car run perfect, and get decent gas mileage. And I've turned into a semi-environmentalist over the years, so I definitely want it to pollute as little as possible.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I do but then it only had 26,500 miles on when I bought it. 1986 Grand Prix, one owner before me.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
My 79 cutlass runs like new its a non ccc car with a 260 with 135000 miles,but its slow so im going to modify it anyway :D

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My car was completely bone stock when I got it from the original owner and ran fine. I've upgraded some steering and suspension items over the years but under the hood is essentially stock. Last spring I pulled the engine to reseal and detail it and also had to pass emissions testing. The only thing I did to deviate from factory issue was replace the cast iron intake with an aluminum L82 (factory with '79 casting numbers) unit. The research I did indicated that they are an identical design -- just in aluminum rather than cast iron. Runs perfect and still gets great gas mileage for what it is. Before and after:
001-65.jpg

001-75.jpg

I also switched up the valve covers and air cleaner lid just because I like the look of the L82 but I can assure you that it's mechanically all stock and all emissions items are present and functioning. However, there really isn't too much to deal with on mine. Just an EGR, catalytic converter and evap canister. I replaced the cat before testing because the old one was 33 years old and half hallowed out. My car blew zeros. Truth is, you can pass a blown big block as long as the cat is working correctly and it's properly tuned. If you have visual inspections where you live that might not be feasible :wink: .

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My car isn't stock but still has all of the emissions equipment and CCC. Most just rip it out because of ignorance. My Regal used to be a 3.8 V6 but now has a complete HO 305 and TH2004R out of a MCSS. Swapped the V6 CCC out for the V8 CCC, and installed all of the V8's emission systems. The main thing with emission parts is that you will need to test them to see if they are still good. A Mityvac will really help you out here since you can test vacuum diaphragms for leaks.

It's also a good idea to use only AC/Delco parts since aftermarket stuff often are not built to the correct factory specs (aftermarket lies often). IMO I would replace the EGR since a bad one can cause bad overheating and only use AC/Delco EGR valves. Aftermarket PCV valves are well known for having incorrect flow rates so stick with AC/Delco units. Those aftermarket PCV valves flow too much and lean out your fuel mixture. Also you should check if your charcoal can hasn't started to break down insides, find it leaking charcoal dust. They are easy to rebuild yourself if need be.

ECMs and modules rarely go bad but I would test all the sensors and again use AC/Delco replacements. Lastly stay away from the fat beer can type O2 sensors and use the skinny pencil type O2 sensors like Denso.

Nov 4, 2012
Now that my 1987 Regals 3.8 V6 2 BBL has had a decent tune up, it runs like a charm. It still has all of its emissions equipment, and all of it still works.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
So you too have fallen prey to the absurd lie perpetuated by rumor mills such as Al Gore that cars are responsible for all this pollution when it's obviously factories, industry, and nuclear energy to blame. I say save your money and stop trying to get modern emissions standards from something out of the 1980s. If you want to save the environment you should just swap to a modern ls / lt style engine and gain 100 hp / torque in the process. You will only lose 2-3 mpg if done correctly. Wasting money trying to 'save the environment' by limiting your carbon emissions is ridiculous. I smack myself in the head every time I see a post like this. I had all my emissions equipment restored to factory and the engine ran a lot weaker. I wasn't impressed with it at all and I'm turning that stuff off Asap. Screw the environment is how I feel and you will probably feel the same way after your expiriment goes terrible just like mine. I will just plant a tree to make it up for it, I need the extra 20-30 hp now not after I get $$$ to plant an engine!

Take it from someone who already walked the path you are thinking to take: you will regret putting that Bs back on the car in the very near future, less than a year

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
pencero said:
So you too have fallen prey to the absurd lie perpetuated by rumor mills such as Al Gore that cars are responsible for all this pollution when it's obviously factories, industry, and nuclear energy to blame. I say save your money and stop trying to get modern emissions standards from something out of the 1980s. If you want to save the environment you should just swap to a modern ls / lt style engine and gain 100 hp / torque in the process. You will only lose 2-3 mpg if done correctly. Wasting money trying to 'save the environment' by limiting your carbon emissions is ridiculous. I smack myself in the head every time I see a post like this. I had all my emissions equipment restored to factory and the engine ran a lot weaker. I wasn't impressed with it at all and I'm turning that stuff off Asap. Screw the environment is how I feel and you will probably feel the same way after your expiriment goes terrible just like mine. I will just plant a tree to make it up for it, I need the extra 20-30 hp now not after I get $$$ to plant an engine!

Take it from someone who already walked the path you are thinking to take: you will regret putting that Bs back on the car in the very near future, less than a year

I agree if its already out of the car just leave it. I wouldnt go out of my way to put all that chicken sh*t bull sh*t back in.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
pencero said:

Seriously? I don't even know where to start with a response :roll: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor