any stock cars on here actually run like NEW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
back to the original topic...

The car was sitting for a long time, so I had to replace alot of typical maintenance parts like:
carb-to-aircleaner gasket (old one was destroyed, probably never replaced)
PCV valve
Breather filter
tune up/oil change
charcoal canister filter
gas cap (old cap had bad seal)
oil fill cap (old cap was destroyed and leaking)
radiator cap - old cap was leaking like crazy
all vacuum lines
electrical connectors for CCC system - they all were cracked and broken

When i first got the car, it ran like crap till it was warmed up. Would idle erratically. Turned out the connector for the electric choke was broken and not plugged up. After fixing that, and replacing the vacuum lines, now it will crank right up and idle perfect when cold!
I will also replace the O2 sensor, EVAP canister, cap/rotor/plug wires. And hopefully it will give me plenty of maintenance free miles for a while, after I fix the leaky rear main problem.
Still havent decided what I want to do with the engine.....just pull it out and replace the main seal, or go ahead and do the rings/bearings/gaskets while I'm at it.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
MikesElco94 said:
turned out to be the canister control valve, cheap easy fix. You can fixed the charcoal canister for cheap with charcoal from fish tank filter bags, which I have done to a caprice.

Good idea for the charcoal....I will definitely try that, instead of the $40-50 for a new canister.
All I have to do is, pull the filter, and dump all the charcoal out, then refill from the bottom, right?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you still have the original catalytic converter you may consider replacing it in the future. They were pretty restrictive and not as efficient compared to the new design. I don't normally recommend parts that are still working but chances are it's seen better days.
If it's already been replaced please disregard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor