any stock cars on here actually run like NEW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
pencero said:
So you too have fallen prey to the absurd lie perpetuated by rumor mills such as Al Gore that cars are responsible for all this pollution when it's obviously factories, industry, and nuclear energy to blame. I say save your money and stop trying to get modern emissions standards from something out of the 1980s. If you want to save the environment you should just swap to a modern ls / lt style engine and gain 100 hp / torque in the process. You will only lose 2-3 mpg if done correctly. Wasting money trying to 'save the environment' by limiting your carbon emissions is ridiculous. I smack myself in the head every time I see a post like this. I had all my emissions equipment restored to factory and the engine ran a lot weaker. I wasn't impressed with it at all and I'm turning that stuff off Asap. Screw the environment is how I feel and you will probably feel the same way after your expiriment goes terrible just like mine. I will just plant a tree to make it up for it, I need the extra 20-30 hp now not after I get $$$ to plant an engine!

Take it from someone who already walked the path you are thinking to take: you will regret putting that Bs back on the car in the very near future, less than a year

He is not trying to get modern emission standards out of his car, he is trying to get 1980s emission standards out of his car by repairing his factory emissions systems. You know the systems Federal Law states your car must have to be legal to drive on the road. I just shake my head everytime I read a post like this. :wtf: At most these systems rob 1/2 HP, seems to be you did something wrong.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I use to live in NJ. They have a pretty strict emissions law. It has to meet factory standards. When i brought my car there it was a 1967 330 olds engine, edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 1406 carb, and tyre dual exhaust with hollowed out cats....it passed with flying colors. All these smog pumps, egr valves, and emission crap is just BS. They make engines run worse.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My engine runs just fine with them, EVAP systems keep your gas tank a closed system so it doesn't gunk up like the older open vent tanks. Smog pump only uses a little power to drive it and all it does is inject some air into the exhaust. THERMAC warms the motor up faster in cold weather. EGR allows the motor to run leaner without spark knocking. PCV was developed during WW2 to vent tank engine carkcases while keeping gunk out. CCC constantly adjusts the fuel mixture and spark curve for ever changing conditions. You cannot tune a standard carb to have a consistant mixture at all times, thus there is wasted gas along the line somewhere, the CCC system only gains you mileage. CCC gives you a near perfect air/fuel ratio at all times, standard carbs do not.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^^All great points^^^.
Also, modern cats are MUCH less restrictive than the early designs. The only noticeable penalty is a WOT dyno pull. Under any other circumstances you'd never notice it's there. I can understand removing emissions parts for the sake of cosmetics or simplicity. Still technically breaking the law though. The engineers designed the system to work together. Selectively removing components usually causes more trouble than leaving it all in place. If the system is complete and working properly I suggest leaving it alone. If you bought a car that has been completely and properly "de-smogged" and you have no testing in your area I'd leave it alone too. I think all too often guys incorrectly blame the "smog crap" for their problems. The reason your 3.8 won't get your 4000# Cutlass into the 12s isn't because it has an EGR and an AIR pump. Your car's slow because it has a dinky little V6 and weighs 2 tons. I guess you can plug the EGR and cut the AIR belt if it makes you feel better but I promise you that you won't notice an improvement.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
As far as the environment goes keeping these cars on the road, modified or not, saves the environment. If you scrap your G body then there's a carbon footprint to recycle it and then there's a huge carbon footprint for that new car you are buying.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Clone TIE Pilot said:
My engine runs just fine with them, EVAP systems keep your gas tank a closed system so it doesn't gunk up like the older open vent tanks. Smog pump only uses a little power to drive it and all it does is inject some air into the exhaust. THERMAC warms the motor up faster in cold weather. EGR allows the motor to run leaner without spark knocking. PCV was developed during WW2 to vent tank engine carkcases while keeping gunk out. CCC constantly adjusts the fuel mixture and spark curve for ever changing conditions. You cannot tune a standard carb to have a consistant mixture at all times, thus there is wasted gas along the line somewhere, the CCC system only gains you mileage. CCC gives you a near perfect air/fuel ratio at all times, standard carbs do not.

And knowing is half the battle! When I was young and didn't know what the hell I was doing, I was really quick to remove the "Emissions Crap" because I didn't understand it and thought it was just in my way. All of the points above improve every aspect of your drivability and cold weather starting....although I still think the smog pump is pointless! The last factory engine I had was a HO 305 in an '85 SS. The car ran great with everything from the factory....minus the true duals.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
My 81 Lemans currently still has the original 229ci v6 and everything associated with it. I drive it for 12000 to 14000 kms every summer on a daily basis. Now hopefully it will have a nice 400 sitting in it by next summer. Naturally all the v6 emissions stuff will be gone but I plan to put high flow cats in the exhaust in order to clean things up a little.
deanlemans81

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
My 442 has the original rebuilt 307 that appears stock looking but thats where that ends. It has some work done to it and it runs great and still retains the factory computer controls to it minus the air pump, egr solenoid, early fuel evap and cruise. If I wanted to I could drive the car everyday and earn decent mpg with it. Just to show that ccc stuff isnt really junk. Starts right up, idles good and has a nice true Oldsmobile v8 sound to it

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Whats this irrelevant, defensive 'my car runs just fine with all the EGR equipment on it and sounds normal' stuff when the point is that it would 'run just fine' even better + the sound would be basically the same or in some cases sound much better. If you are a person with OCD then a guy is going to do what he's going to do and set everything 100% factory bc thats how that type of person is - but don't try to justify your disease by pretending you really believe that obsolete brainwashing bs the government fed you back in the day about cars being responsible for all the havoc on the environment when really the pollution is projects perpetrated by them. Everbody knows that old emissions stuff is bs. If you want to save the environment plant a tree Johnny Appleseed. A modern 5.7 with efi single exhaust and cat + all working oxygen sensors puts out way less emissions than an 80s v6 or an old dirty 307 does so why are you wasting money on 'the environment' to satisfy political pigs when your so called saviors are taking payoffs w the other hand to let fat rich guys dump environmental waste and pills in your water. You could be saving money to stuff in one of those new 4.8 or 5.3's everbody is talking about instead and just running that engine into the ground instead of wasting endless money on it paying into a political propoganda pool. It's 20 years old it is not going to last more than a couple years as a daily driver are you serious? :rofl:

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
pencero said:
Whats this irrelevant, defensive 'my car runs just fine with all the EGR equipment on it and sounds normal' stuff when the point is that it would 'run just fine' even better + the sound would be basically the same or in some cases sound much better. If you are a person with OCD then a guy is going to do what he's going to do and set everything 100% factory bc thats how that type of person is - but don't try to justify your disease by pretending you really believe that obsolete brainwashing bs the government fed you back in the day about cars being responsible for all the havoc on the environment when really the pollution is projects perpetrated by them. Everbody knows that old emissions stuff is bs. If you want to save the environment plant a tree Johnny Appleseed. A modern 5.7 with efi single exhaust and cat + all working oxygen sensors puts out way less emissions than an 80s v6 or an old dirty 307 does so why are you wasting money on 'the environment' to satisfy political pigs when your so called saviors are taking payoffs w the other hand to let fat rich guys dump environmental waste and pills in your water. You could be saving money to stuff in one of those new 4.8 or 5.3's everbody is talking about instead and just running that engine into the ground instead of wasting endless money on it paying into a political propoganda pool. It's 20 years old it is not going to last more than a couple years as a daily driver are you serious? :rofl:

- This is not a political forum, and I don't think the OP asked for your opinion/rant on those things anyhow. Focus, please..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor