Anybody else have this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
It's also about parking your car in a lot with 1000 cars in it. You always can spot yours in a heartbeat unless it's another G Body Forum member.
With old iron you ARE the driver, not just a participant behind the wheel.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Just pity the dealership mechanic having to work all day with 3/4 plastic content cars with limited time to do the job.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
We are all getting older. I am into less stress. My free time is way valuable and I am paying to have some things done that I always did myself.
I am doing what I enjoy. Working on the car, fishing, property and my long time wife and family and in no particular order
Cheers cause life is way short

Being in my mid 50's I found my free time the most important part of my life now. I simplified it as much as possible and try to keep drama and stress to a minimum.

I really do like older cars for just the fact I can work on them and replace any part in it without major issues. In older cars I feel I am driving it. In a newer car I feel I am along for the ride. Hope that makes sense?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think an additional project is called for.

I love to daily drive my G-body stuff. I have a '99 S10 2WD Blazer (with a Vortec 350) that sees a lot of service in crappy weather, because, let's face it, if it gets drilled, it will not hurt me as bad. Parts are more readily available for it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
In retrospect, I regret selling all my GM vehicles I owned in the 80's and 90's. Now that I'm more mature(cough) I find I'm attacted to the simpler, more serviceable technology.

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You need a hooptie. I like Pontiac Sunfires. Small, fun, good on gas, indestructible. You can beat the living sh*t out of a hooptie and save your REAL car for more important things. Like stuffing a huge motor in it.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
You need a hooptie. I like Pontiac Sunfires. Small, fun, good on gas, indestructible. You can beat the living sh*t out of a hooptie and save your REAL car for more important things. Like stuffing a huge motor in it.

I drive a Geo Prizm daily right now. I agree about the gas mileage but it gets old not having enough power to pass the idiots in the way!

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As most of you know, the cutlass was my 1st car. I drove it daily for a few years after doing the 355 swap. However, being young and learning the ins and outs of it, seemed like something was acting up most of the time...and it was getting crappy gas mileage.

I ended up buying a 90 celica to daily, and put the cutlass as a fun car...if something broke i didn't need to worry. Just park it until i could fix it. The celica was great on gas, i fixed it up to look better, added some mods to help the 1.6L be a little faster of a turd than it was.

Sold that and bought my buddies 92 prelude SI. I have to admit, that car was fun as hell to drive and was pretty quick with the 200hp jdm H23A it had! Did some mods to it to make it quicker and had a blast....sold it for profit when kid #1 was on the way and went to the sedan life lol!

Since then I've resorted to keeping the cutlass as a cruiser, and driving more gas friendly cars that if they get dinged i won't freak out. I drive about 70 miles round trip daily to work all highway, so now driving my 07 mazda 6...3.0L fits the bill. It has enough creature comforts, plenty of power to pass people, but sure is a PITA to change coilpacks on cylinders 1-3.

As with newer cars, engineers design them to pack as much crap in as possible in hopes when something breaks you take it to the dealer for repairs. Not this guy, i do my research and dig in! To change the rear coilpacks the upper intake has to be removed....done it enough i have it down to a science.

Wrenching runs in the family...my dad being a 45 year diesel mechanic has helped tremendously over the years with advice and know-how.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like your at that time in life when time and money isn't being friendly (kids, school, weddings) If you totally prepare for what you want to do down time would be min. Be ready and attack the interior - same w/ the engine swap, just do it in stages. I kind of have the opposite problem of too many toys and you run out of time and space to use them (some got to go). Being in Michigan we're shut down most of the winter and I'm glad I have a nice shop to work on my projects. A daily driver is nice but another car maintain. I had a Seville as DD that I bought for $800.00 that served me for years, would even have it at the track and friends that came to watch would run it in street.

IMG_4391.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor