Anybody else have this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
My Elky was a daily driver for almost 30 years. After I finally decided to fix it up. I went way overboard and now I am afraid to park it anywhere I can't see it. Driving it in the rain is now a no, no too. I kind of screwed myself, Because I had to go buy something else to drive.:blam::doh::rofl:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Every time I drive my El C I have 3 miles of Georgia red clay dirt road to contend with. The upside is no neighbors and gun fire is normal

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Every time I drive my El C I have 3 miles of Georgia red clay dirt road to contend with. The upside is no neighbors and gun fire is normal

It's like we live in the same place!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I was stationed in Ft. Bliss Texas a guy went down to Juarez Mexico to get a cheap paint job. Man, that car looked sharp! They did a super job. That is, until a furious dust storm chewed all the paint right off! But the stupidest thing I ever did to my '68 Firebird daily driver was this: I loved going fishing down at Rockaway Beach. Often on the way down there I would pass through a swampy area in Rosedale on Snake Road that had water rushing across it. Being stupid I just blasted right through that water not realizing at the time it was SALT water from the marsh. Ultra high tides would flood the back bays and the water would flow across the road at that spot only. This went on for years and the more I worked on my car the more I noticed the rust eating the car. Finally I heard a crunching sound under the floor boards because the sub frame was so rotted it was moving from side to side when I shifted gears. At that point the car had been my DD for 16 years and I knew it was time to let it go. If I had just saved it and used a beater for work and fishing I would still have it.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I used my '81 Malibu wagon for a daily driver over 15 years. While using it I swapped several motors around, transmissions, all kinds of stuff. What saved me was using my mountain bike to get to work. BUT- winter was rough when something broke. Being a mailman I ignored the weather. But with ice and snow it was taking the bus or nothing. I don't advise a G body as your only vehicle.

OH NO!!! Not ANOTHER Mailman!! Drop the UZI Newman!:rofl:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Live near the ocean and the wind will coat your car with salt every day. My uncle lived in Florida on th east coast on the man made canals and his motor home ended up with all the windows facing the ocean welded shut from corrosion. And the winter is worse than the summer because of the salt water dew that gets deposited on the whole car including the frame and brakes. Park a G body on grass for an extended period and the moisture coming from the ground will rot out a frame and under body of a car. The desert is the place to be and you'll get your car sandblasted for free.....:)

Shore environments are harsh on cars too, seen plenty of rust on the boardwalks. Salt is simply bad for cars. Not sure about parking over grass as both my Regal and Ranger are parked on grass. Don't have a fancy paved driveway, just a mud path. The Regal is still pretty clean while the Ranger being winter driven had its rear spring shackles rust out, rear brake line rust out, ATF cooler line rust out, bottom front of the bed is gone, and rust damage on the radiator support. It has one year old shocks, clean all summer, then got rusty after their first winter.

Also have a 1946 farm tractor, it is also kept outside, battered by farmers for most of its 70 years, and doesn't have rust holes in its sheetmetal.

I know up in northern Canada they often use sand instead of salt which cuts down on winter car rot. Down here in the Mid Atlantic states, DOT does not use sand, they use either salt, brine, or calcium chloride (same stuff you put in swimming pools). They coat the roads solid white with salt at the slightest risk of snow which really rots out the roads, bridges, and over passes, leading the roads to be in constant bad shape with constant repairs in warm months causing jams. As a added bonus the salt poisons the soil and kills most plants off by the side of roads except for poison ivy which loves it.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Relax RegalBegal. I survived 36 years of Federal service without killing anyone. Since I retired my blood pressure is way down and my anger issues are almost "normal".

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
68 Firebird. Rare car. Since I sold my shops my wife says I no longer talk in my sleep and have overcome my anger issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor