Anyone add a 3rd brake light el Camino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
I am considering adding a brake light in the rear window. Really just as a safety concern. The tail lights on the el Camino are very low in the first place, and my el Camino is even lower. I dont want big trucks rear ending me. Anyone done this and have pics? I would have flush mounted something before I painted it had I thought about it at the time. :(

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I mounted a bright 20 LED lamp above the rear window. I only had to drill one hole I just put a drop of RTV on the wires before I stuck it on with double sided tape.
Tapped into the brake light wire under the drivers sill plate. (got it from JC. Whitney).
If you mount the lamp inside the back window you will light up the inside cab every time you hit the brakes.
Very distracting when driving at night. :wink:

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    764.3 KB · Views: 1,816

turboaudi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2013
upstate NY
look at the s10 blazers they have a led 3rd brake light that is mounted on the roof these will bolt to the top of your roof and look factory ! you also dont get the glare thru the back window dave

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX

Marik Bathory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2013
Another oft overlooked source is the older squarebody Taurus/Sable wagons. their third brake lights were roof mounted in a plastic or fiberglass housing. I grabbed one with it's hardware ad mounting gaset for $5 when I was building my Monza. the Cabby will likley get the same thing. Not the prettiest but cheap and effective.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Extra lights are a necessity in my opinion. Got one for the bedcover, never installed it yet.Some auto parts stores sell cheap universals that mount inside the back glass. For wiring, most run a wire directly to the brake switch. I have a signal convertor which I'll probably use for mine to not have to run a new wire from the cab to the rear.
Think I need a few more lights just to be sure .
DSC00418.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
tc1959 said:
I mounted a bright 20 LED lamp above the rear window. I only had to drill one hole I just put a drop of RTV on the wires before I stuck it on with double sided tape.
Tapped into the brake light wire under the drivers sill plate. (got it from JC. Whitney).
If you mount the lamp inside the back window you will light up the inside cab every time you hit the brakes.
Very distracting when driving at night. :wink:

if you have that tapped into one of the brake wires does it not flash when you have the turn signal on? The 3rd brake light on my GP is a blue wire that comes from the brake switch. It's independent of the yellow and green brake wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor