Anyone in NJ have a 350/290 or 350/265?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
now you're talking customizations and I really want to avoid that or keep customizations really simple. So here is a motor that I could consider. It comes with a cam but I'd have to change it to account for a mechanical fuel pump. If there is an simple electrical pump I could install that will work for me. I don't want to get into in tank fuel pumps and return lines and such. No my goal for this car.

Is the fuel pump eccentric built into the cam on a sbc? It has been awhile since I have looked at a sbc cam, I guess. Another way the Olds V8 is superior😁. That Vortec Crate motor is a lot nicer and more efficient motor than either the 265 or 290 motor. Other than break in, I would not be scared to run the 265 hp flat tappet model with regular oil. That is a plain old, very mild smog cam in that one.

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Is the fuel pump eccentric built into the cam on a sbc? It has been awhile since I have looked at a sbc cam, I guess. Another way the Olds V8 is superior😁. That Vortec Crate motor is a lot nicer and more efficient motor than either the 265 or 290 motor. Other than break in, I would not be scared to run the 265 hp flat tappet model with regular oil. That is a plain old, very mild smog cam in that one.
Yes. The mechanical fuel pump is driven off of a specific lobe on the camshaft.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes. The mechanical fuel pump is driven off of a specific lobe on the camshaft.
So nearly any factory roller cam is not mechanical fuel pump compatible. Good thing there are many aftermarket cams for the sbc.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Also most Vortec blocks are not drilled for fuel pump pushrods.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Correct. And, you have to make sure the block being used/purchased is drilled for a fuel pump rod,
I knew about the push rod, I had fun with a mechanical fuel pump on a 2.8 V6 I owned.

pats1979malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2010
I have the 350/290 horse version in my Malibu. It’s a descent engine I have turbo 350 trans 3.73 gears, performer intake ,headers, dual exhaust 650 Holley carb (has a nice little rumble). I don’t drive it daily and it only has about 500 miles on it so I’m not sure how they last. It has ok power I wish I would’ve gotten the vorteh head engine with the 330 horse. You would probably be happy with the engine tho.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I have the 350/290 horse version in my Malibu. It’s a descent engine I have turbo 350 trans 3.73 gears, performer intake ,headers, dual exhaust 650 Holley carb (has a nice little rumble). I don’t drive it daily and it only has about 500 miles on it so I’m not sure how they last. It has ok power I wish I would’ve gotten the vorteh head engine with the 330 horse. You would probably be happy with the engine tho.
I appreciate the reply. I have a follow up question. If you did drive it daily and had to consider gas milage, drivability, etc. would you leave it the way it is?

I actually found a video of a guy who put the 265 HP in his truck 2 years ago and has since swapped the came, heads and added dual exhaust. His test drive looked pretty tame, but for me that's OK.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What carb are you currently running? A stock late 70's Qjet won't like the extra 30 degrees of duration the 290 hp cam has, another thing to think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor