Anyone in NJ have a 350/290 or 350/265?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Here it is for $1400 less (2-bolt mains)... probably same rebuild shop (ATK), probably same warranty. When I was shopping-around for a crate 5.3L, I found they all came from ATK or sister shop in Mexico no matter who the retailer.

According the Jegs description, this motor is not mechanical fuel pump capable. Also its a used block and crank which is not the worst thing in the world but I'd prefer GM factory new since its an option.

I'm doing research on electric fuel pumps. There has to be a simple solution I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question. Holley has an electric pump that is claimed to be a direct replacement for a mechanical pump. Sounds like its on my level.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
According the Jegs description, this motor is not mechanical fuel pump capable. Also its a used block and crank which is not the worst thing in the world but I'd prefer GM factory new since its an option.

I'm doing research on electric fuel pumps. There has to be a simple solution I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question. Holley has an electric pump that is claimed to be a direct replacement for a mechanical pump. Sounds like its on my level.
For a daily driver I would not recommend an inline electric fuel pump. They are known to overheat due to the pump having to suck fuel up and out of the tank.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
now you're talking customizations and I really want to avoid that or keep customizations really simple. So here is a motor that I could consider. It comes with a cam but I'd have to change it to account for a mechanical fuel pump. If there is an simple electrical pump I could install that will work for me. I don't want to get into in tank fuel pumps and return lines and such. No my goal for this car.

You asked about figuring out electric fuel options. I gave both, in-tank and inline.

So I give up, good luck with whatever you choose to do, changing cams and such are much more work and customization that swapping in a production gas tank and sending unit that take all of 15 minutes and no cutting or new fuel lines.

Finding a qjet intake for a vortec head is also customization as is many other aspects of using one of those motors, or, going efi as you will be pushed towards.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
You asked about figuring out electric fuel options. I gave both, in-tank and inline.

So I give up, good luck with whatever you choose to do, changing cams and such are much more work and customization that swapping in a production gas tank and sending unit that take all of 15 minutes and no cutting or new fuel lines.

Finding a qjet intake for a vortec head is also customization as is many other aspects of using one of those motors, or, going efi as you will be pushed towards.
I just replied that I'm researching inline fuel pumps in a previous post just a little while ago. Also I agree with your comment on the cam and I don't plan to swap it. But thanks for your feedback so far, its been helpful.

Last edited:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020

In the beginning stages of planning my swap, I was planning on doing a TBI setup with that vortec 350 longblock... Since you have a 305 car, it seems like you're halfway there. Putting a grand national sending unit in your fuel tank and converting to EFI will take an afternoon. Not sure how you would do your timing without the CCC computer - I skipped all that learning when I went with the LS architecture where the black box takes care of all that stuff.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I just replied that I'm researching inline fuel pumps in a previous post just a little while ago. Also I agree with your comment on the cam and I don't plan to swap it. But thanks for your feedback so far, its been helpful.
Here's another option. Roller cam and will drive a mechanical fuel pump...
It's a 1-piece rear main block with dart heads (doesn't require Vortec style intake). It may be more than you need power wise but seems like a good deal.

Reactions: 1 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
In the beginning stages of planning my swap, I was planning on doing a TBI setup with that vortec 350 longblock... Since you have a 305 car, it seems like you're halfway there. Putting a grand national sending unit in your fuel tank and converting to EFI will take an afternoon. Not sure how you would do your timing without the CCC computer - I skipped all that learning when I went with the LS architecture where the black box takes care of all that stuff.
Thanks for the response. I've already deleted the CCC and I'm running a straight carburetor. I don't plan to add the CCC back in as the car runs fine now, just way low on power and its old and tired.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas

15mins huh?

While I agree an in-tank pump is the best alternative vs an external in-line I know my way around these cars & it took a wee bit longer than 15mins to drop the tank.

A TBI pump set-up will still need a regulator & return line in an app such as this (carb @ 6psi max) as well as power supply/relay etc.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
15mins huh?

While I agree an in-tank pump is the best alternative vs an external in-line I know my way around these cars & it took a wee bit longer than 15mins to drop the tank.
I've had too much practice between chopping up around 200 cars and rebuilding I don't even know how many others. Back where I was at the time you couldn't scrap the body with the tank installed. Now (at least here, new location) they're easier and only want a hole in the tank of specified size and place.

As far as assembly, worst one I ever did was dropping a full contaminated tank on the side of the road, lying in snow, Thanksgiving morning with it was in the teens Fahrenheit excluding windchill.

That one mightve taken 20 minutes, my hands were getting numb!
A TBI pump set-up will still need a regulator & return line in an app such as this (carb @ 6psi max) as well as power supply/relay etc.
Correct on all counts. But to drop and raise a tank is quick, just need a jack and guide it up to place its only 2 bolts out, 2 bolts loose, and 3 pinch clamps plus a wire to unplug. Then repeat the other direction.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
now you're talking customizations and I really want to avoid that or keep customizations really simple. So here is a motor that I could consider. It comes with a cam but I'd have to change it to account for a mechanical fuel pump. If there is an simple electrical pump I could install that will work for me. I don't want to get into in tank fuel pumps and return lines and such. No my goal for this car.

This is basically what I’m putting in my car. I have an older truck engine under my work bench. If I happen to get it installed before you make your decision you’re more than welcome to go for a ride.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor