Anyone install new replacement doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I am thinking about getting new replacement doors for my monte Carlo SS. I figure the investment will be worth it vs the cost of rust repair. My biggest concern is swapping the power windows and everything else over. Has anyone done it? How bad a job am I in for? Seems every car I've ever had to work inside the door is horrible. Thanks in advance

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Yes, a time killer. Forget about the rust repair, you are doing the right thing.

• Indifferent
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes it is time consuming and when swapping to a new shell you have to swap everything, including door handles, locks, linkage bars etc plus your power lock and window set up.
Take a lot of pictures as you disassemble your current doors and transfer parts to the new shells.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
May 15, 2020
Hello, I’m curious about door shells. My 81 Malibu doors are rotted, I’m looking
for some feedback using aftermarket(Goodmark,Sherman ect.) or trying to locate some rust free used doors. Has anyone tried the aftermarket door shells are they cheap made in China crap, do they fit. Am I better off going used OEM? Please advise , thanks

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
My preference is OEM; nothing beats the OEM fit and finish. Unfortunately, the problem with all rust damage is it needs to be addressed and overcome.

Basically, whether to replace or repair your doors all depends on how badly damaged they are and which parts are good or bad. I've been fortunate that the doors on my 87 El Camino only have cancer along the bottom edges; the door shells were basically sound. As a result, I've only had to replace the lower door skins which I found and ordered from Dixie Restoration. Upon arrival, I noted that Dixie's door skins are manufactured in Canada. The replacements I received were of good quality and did not require a lot of hammer and dolly work to fit well to my OEM door shell.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OEM is always the best choice, if you can find them. The biggest problem with G-body doors was the seams. Not so much the outside, but the insides. They didn't do much if anything for moisture control, and when the bottoms of the outer skin starts corroding, it also was corroding the inner section of the door shell as well from the inside out. Total PITA to fix properly. Door skins are great if you can find them as long as your metal on the inner shell is in good repair. Some aftermarket is better than others.

If you get new door shells, or do any repairs to your originals, it may be wise to seal the door seams on the inside with liquid sealer after fixing and painting everything, then put all your door guts together. See Donovan's build thread. He's using cavity wax specifically for this purpose.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Whatever route you end up going, The time/work involved is about the same. With a new or used door you pretty much have to remove almost everything to even paint it properly. Since I do my own body work, I’d repair what you have. No big cost there, you know that they already fit well. Then if your not satiisfied, shop for replacements.

May 15, 2020
My doors are really straight but very rusty,the outside edge on the bottom corner on the inside and outside aren’t even there anymore. I also want to install sport mirrors on both doors, I presently have a chrome mirror on the drivers door only. I would need to install the bracket behind the mirror on the passenger door and drill holes. It seems that I will need to get another set of doors. The cost for new door shells vs. used OEM with shipping is roughly the same. My concern is quality and if I do go with the new aftermarket doors, who offers the best Goodmark, Sherman, Gold star, OPGI offers their own in house brand. For all I know they may all be manufactured by the same company and rebranded. Has anyone used a particular brand and had good or bad results? I want to do this once and do it right, thanks.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
For the most part these doors are made by the same manufacturer,they're sold by/under different names/companies.gold star opgi and the like are but middlemen.sure oem is the way to go but keep in mind you're still putting a 30+year old piece of sheet metal on your ride.even the best precautions on something that old is effected by the hands of time.I'm a fan of oem because I've gotten burnt by aftermarket a lot over the years via my industry but for the average person it's a no brainer.
The shipping is a killer I'd shop around see what's gonna work be$t maybe there's a speed shop near by that you that can get them.that way you can inspect them there and kick them back if they are damaged.rather than having to ship them yourself for an exchange etc etc

Reactions: 1 users
May 15, 2020
For the most part these doors are made by the same manufacturer,they're sold by/under different names/companies.gold star opgi and the like are but middlemen.sure oem is the way to go but keep in mind you're still putting a 30+year old piece of sheet metal on your ride.even the best precautions on something that old is effected by the hands of time.I'm a fan of oem because I've gotten burnt by aftermarket a lot over the years via my industry but for the average person it's a no brainer.
The shipping is a killer I'd shop around see what's gonna work be$t maybe there's a speed shop near by that you that can get them.that way you can inspect them there and kick them back if they are damaged.rather than having to ship them yourself for an exchange etc etc
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor