anyone know how to clean up a stock 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if it has a computer controlled carb, get rid of it and the distributor. drop in a properly rebuilt q-jet and a standard HEI distributor. both can be switched to a 350, with minor tweaks, when you go that route.
also, pull the EGR system, AIR system and the other emissions system, except for the carbon canister. eliminate the cats, and run true duals.
also, depending on what trans you have, change the rear gears.

monte ss496

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2010
G-Body_Vet said:
Best way to clean up a 305 is to dump it in a lake! :lol:

J/k! Sorry I couldn't resist!

If you have an engine swap planned within a year I'd just keep the engine in stock running condition until then. Yes, bolt-ons will interchange but why do the work twice ya know?
agreed!!! x100

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
Stock 305s are pooches but you'll be surprised at the amount of power one of those can put out with the right equipment. Yes, you're doing the work two times but you may find yourself enjoying what power you get out of that 305 with the right stuff.

Check out this article on Popular Hotrodding Magazine.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... ewall.html

What restricts those engines is its inability to breath. You'll add 150 HP just by a head, cam, and intake change.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
lol im thinking the same thing gbodyvet. it has true duel exhaust with no cats, just 2 glass packs. ill NEVER disconnect my a/c again..i used to but for whatever couple horsepower you gain from doing it, its not worth sweating my balls off in the summer. plus the cars black...this is actually the first time i havent removed it. when talking about the egr, do you mean to just disconnect the vac line and plug it? what else would be considered emission stuff? i dont think ill mess with the crab and dist. thats getting more into this motor than i want to.

81malibujoe

Apprentice
Mar 6, 2010
Canon City Co
cutlassguy...don't know if this'll help or not...I had a 229 V6 when I started this project, and could not pass up a $50.00 305, 81 also, for the conversion. I swapped out the intake for an Edelbrock Performer, headers, had a Qjet from a 73 350 rebuilt, HEI w/ Accel wires, 2.5 exhaust w/40 series Flowmasters and a major detail on the motor. For the meantime, this 305 is pretty snappy...just by looking at it, there is nothing to suggest smog or emissions whatsoever. Where I live though, we don't have to worry about emissions testing...

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Flip over your air cleaner lid will allow more air into your enginealso check your vac lines and replace old brittle ones. Add good spark plugs and some accel wires.

79olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2012
Get rid of the computer controlled carb switch it over to a normal 4barrel get vacuum advance hei and change the timing stock specs are a joke and change gear ratio to 3.42 the gears is what really changes things up

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
jasonreid said:
Stock 305s are pooches but you'll be surprised at the amount of power one of those can put out with the right equipment. Yes, you're doing the work two times but you may find yourself enjoying what power you get out of that 305 with the right stuff.

Check out this article on Popular Hotrodding Magazine.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... ewall.html

What restricts those engines is its inability to breath. You'll add 150 HP just by a head, cam, and intake change.
hmmm makes me think about hooking my 305 up. lol

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
I think people need to reread the PHR article. While yo can get 300hpthe out of a 305, its expensive and driveability suffers greatly. For the same cost you could buy/build/install a 350hp+ 350 that lives on the street. IIRC even the article said its not worth it to build a 305!

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Best way to build a car is to start at the back. Do a gear change first. Put some 3.73s and it will feel like you have twice the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor