Anyone remember these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I was apprenticing at a shop around the year 2000. My Boss wouldn't run any Champion plugs, saw too many issues. Most everything got Autolite spark plugs. Somehow a rep got him to try them. Any trucks that towed or had pinging issues, they usually fixed. Times change and a big Copper core plug don't cut it, everything now needs to last 100,000 km and be Iridium. So now only NOS exist. I bought one of the last sets on earth, from Amazon of all places for my useless Dodge Dakota. They reduce pinging a lot. The 4071 are the older, colder plug for the Magnum, which I bought. They look mean too.

Champion_Truck_Plug_spark_plugs_02_EN.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I just realized, these plugs are the same reach and recommended heat range as the Edelbrock Olds aluminum heads. I found enough for another set, I may pick up a set for the Olds 358.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I also had problem with Champions and have become anti Champion.

Used to have 70 Road Runner. 11's on nitrous and NGK or Autolite would take any abuse. Champions ran good until I shoved nitrous down it's throat. Then it was misfire city until I removed them.
Now I never buy them, even for my lawnmower.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Used to swear by AC Delco's but have had good luck with the E-Fire units.

Nick

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
These truck plugs were finally a Champion plug that wasn't a POS. The rumour was Champion were designed for leaded fuel, once it went away, they sucked. I have a feeling the new Champion plugs will be similar to the Autolite and AC Delco, Chinese Assembly Line Spark Plugs. Other than these, Copper NGK is the best choice for my Oldsmobile.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Priced out a set of iridium plugs for one of my engines a while back and about yakked my lunch on the spot! The E's aren't cheap per pair but a lot easier on my stomach than buying iridium plugs would be.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, Iridium are $20 each here in store. I got some Autolite Iridium for $5 each off Amazon for the Challenger. These plugs are costing about $10 each with shipping, pricey but a very reliable plug.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
All my modern cars get Iridium. Expensive but they last forever. My outboard motors, old cars, lawn mowers, all get Champions. Never no trouble.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
All my modern cars get Iridium. Expensive but they last forever. My outboard motors, old cars, lawn mowers, all get Champions. Never no trouble.
Good to hear. My boat and old stuff all get NGK. Same thing, never any issue with NGK.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Purchased an 09 MINI Clubman, wife's dream car. Bosch plugs where close to $15 a piece and it took a special spark plug socket. They cannot even change the plugs on that thing without buying more tools. If you ever want an excuse to buy tools start working on a MINI. All torques and stars. Even the lug bolts (yes not nuts) use a special tool to remove.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor