Anyone use a Hypertech re-programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am thinking of getting one to re-program my daughter's 2012 Jeep Liberty. They go for between $200-300 and have a few levels of performance as well as customization. Her Jeep is sluggish at around 45 mph and we determined it was shifting into OD too soon as well as the lock-up converter actuating too soon. The rpm's drop from 2500 to 1500 at 45 mph. You need to press the gas pedal almost 30% to get it to release. I am used to the old GM converters that release if you sneeze at the pedal. I figure getting a Jeep stealership to change things just once would cost more than the Hypertech.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Had one for my Powerstroke F350. Was set on lowest setting when i got the truck, went back to the base OE tune. Immediately went back to the stage 1 tune as the trans shifted much better with it installed. Never went beyond that, as it worked well for what I used the truck for, and had no interest in "rolling coal".

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That is what I was interested in. Her's doesn't shift well and needs improving. Does it stay hooked up, or is removed once the changes are made?

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Had one in my '00 RAM 2500 with the 360 V8. The truck was a complete dog with 33's and stock gearing. The programmer really woke it up and you could change shift points as well. Best investment I ever made in this truck, besides the for sale add.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok I ordered the 101300 model plus the magnetic mount. Thanks for the replies!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I used a Diablo unit on Natasha's Camaro over a decade ago. I cannot say if it helped any, but I felt special following the instructions on the screen and not bricking the ECM.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That is what I was interested in. Her's doesn't shift well and needs improving. Does it stay hooked up, or is removed once the changes are made?

Late response, but the one I had stored the OE tune in it, and after it programmed the PCM, you removed it. Mine was an old square style, so functions were limited, the 99+ had other options available like tire size/speedo re-calibration.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Actually just ordered a Diablo Sport for my 2011 Yukon. Mainly wanting to turn on the AFM, but the canned tunes get pretty good reviews.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
after it programmed the PCM, you removed it.
This one you leave in place. It hooks up to the gas pedal where the drive-by-wire harness connects. Then you mount the control unit somewhere convenient. I'm thinking it intercepts the pedal signal and adjusts the PCM to whatever level of performance you choose. Stock is an option.
41SCmk4mTyL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor