Article just for fun...Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I'm with KCP on this one. I actually loathe this monstrosity...

lose the vent intakes below the headlights, lose a few degrees of rake on the grille, take a little height off the grille, add just a clear lens over the bulbs, etc...

everything from behind the nose (except the hood scoop) looks pretty good, it's just the nose I couldn't shell the $$$ for...

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You guys are talking about an automaker that doesn't even want to build CARS anymore, let alone a 2 door. Why would they spend the tooling money to sell 10000 units at a price twice the projected MSRP by the time it would make production.

"USA" automakers are about the money, not the love of the automobile anymore.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
The article with that image missed the point, as does the concept.

Dodge has been selling the crap out of the challenger. Since 2015 they sell 60k, 70k units a year.

The reason why cars like the GTO flopped, and why that buick would flop, is because they stick too close to just a little decoration around the edges of a blah product.

2 door coupe sales are down because the offerings suck. When you sell subcompact econocrap people don't want to drive with their chin in their knees.

The other extreme is putting a 65k Cadillac/BMW/Merc out. Even the cheap mercs have that godawful snub nose and hatch/trunk hybrid without a deck

Where's the 20-something thousand, roomy, coupe outside the challenger

Now, when you build a BIG roomy reasonably priced car like the challenger, that doesn't look like it was punched in the nose with a crappy design, they sell.

Any decently equipped challenger is a LOT more than 20 grand. A mustangs GT base price is around 35k and the Challenger is more expensive. They also weight like 4,400-4,700 lbs they're absolute tanks.

I agree overall though that most of the cars out there today are pretty lame with the exception of some really expensive European cars. The Japanese and American car companies need to come up with some clean, sleek, lighter sporty sedans and coupes.

Unfortunately the money these days is trucks, suv and crossovers. I doubt we'll see a big resurrection of sports coupes and sedans, it's a dying breed.

• Indifferent
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The Japanese and American car companies need to come up with some clean, sleek, lighter sporty sedans and coupes.

The VAST majority of the buying public doesn't want them, they want media tech and cushy comfort stuff.

Brings to mind the whining about the "new" Camaro, and how all the enthusiasts wanted big engine - A/C delete - manual window cars. 100 buyers is NOT going to even get a passing glance from automakers.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
I think it's pretty awful. If i wanted a fast-ish new car for not much money I'd buy a used Dodge Charger Pursuit.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The VAST majority of the buying public doesn't want them, they want media tech and cushy comfort stuff.

Brings to mind the whining about the "new" Camaro, and how all the enthusiasts wanted big engine - A/C delete - manual window cars. 100 buyers is NOT going to even get a passing glance from automakers.
The newest Camaro is ugly unfortunately, and GM sucks at advertising.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Any decently equipped challenger is a LOT more than 20 grand. A mustangs GT base price is around 35k and the Challenger is more expensive. They also weight like 4,400-4,700 lbs they're absolute tanks.

I agree overall though that most of the cars out there today are pretty lame with the exception of some really expensive European cars. The Japanese and American car companies need to come up with some clean, sleek, lighter sporty sedans and coupes.

Unfortunately the money these days is trucks, suv and crossovers. I doubt we'll see a big resurrection of sports coupes and sedans, it's a dying breed.
It all depends on what your definition of 'decently equipped' is.

I'm plenty happy with the 305hp that comes with the penta star v6.

Having the 460hp gt, i was also plenty happy with the 305 hp that is in the 2016 mustang we picked up for the wife. It gets around 27-30mpg at 80mph with the a/c on and a 14sec 1/4 bone stock.

Ordering a car with dealer options in many cases is throwing money away. With all the premium trim car options you can buy dealer takeoff 0 mile parts for dirt cheap. Heck, even fixing up the wrecked '16 there's STILL new take off parts sitting locally I've been buying for a fraction of junkyard to go on it. Don't want the 17" factory alloys? I can get 0 mile "gt" rims/tires/tpms for $400/set. Want the 'performance pack 19s it's 900/set. Leather instead of cloth get takeouts for $450/set front and rears. Strut brace $50. Lighted door sills $30-50/pair. Got a gt hood with built in heat extractors, turn signals, and wiring harnesses for $250. GT decklid with spoiler ran me $150 but was a 3hr trip to get the matching factory paint. And you've still got parts left to sell.

Yeah, a gt mustang is 35k but that's not really the conversation here for a super high horse car.... a 300+ hp base model is 26k msrp. Challenger sxt is 28k, gt 31k. ANY of those you can go in on a costco auto buying discount, stack incentives, and pay low to mid 20s on. Camaro I can't say because they're basically junk comparatively IMO, and I never would be buying one after having last looked about 4 years back. And that's with the stepdad having had a zl1 that's now downstairs in the garage. If I had to PAY for it, I'd go elsewhere (and did)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I may be way off base here, but I sometimes wish they'd rename these cars...because they're SO FAR removed from what they originally were....simple fun.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor