Article-"The End of Manual Transmissions"

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Very good article. Sad, but true. I had my '80 Malibu 4 speed out this evening. I love driving that car, because its much more interactive, and you have to actually drive it. I will always have my Monte SS, for sentimental reasons, but the Malibu is more fun.

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
two or three pedals,most people can't drive anyways.R.I.P
1660265498939.png

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
My 1st car 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie 406 was a 4 spd. Traded it for an LS Chevelle (4 spd) Had a 64 Falcon Sprint 260 (4 spd). From 1976 on it was automatics. 2 spd Powerglides, 3 spd TH350, 727s, C6 FOMOCO, 200R, 6 spd CTS/8 spd Audi with paddle shifters. Would I trade for a stick? Maybe for a ride around town for the feeling, but for long term use NO! Any automatic of today will spank any manual of yesteryear. I love the dual clutch, seamless shifting. Yup we all get soft left legs, and arthritic left arms and hands that can't grip a ball shifter. Fond memories of the Hurst white ball slamming thru the gears.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I notice at the car meets I go to these early 20 year olds are wanting stick shifts in their little rice burner cars. My son will be swapping out his automatic for a stick in his BMW, but then again he was raised by old school parents.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I did my part:

I knew it would be rare, but not this rare. You haven't been able to order one with a stick for two model years now. Two (known) test mules were built and released in 2021.

The article is correct about some things, inaccurate about others. The analogue vs. digital argument is more complex than looking at it through 2022's lens.

The digitization of cars has been going on for 40 years. Early EFI was crap, late-90s to early 2000s was perfection (reliability and DBC), now they are over assisted. ABS, power steering, traction control, active suspension, etc all come with pros and cons.

My stick 91 Turbo Sundance was pure analogue less the EFI. And my T5'd 91 Z28 was the same less the TPI. Those were great driving experiences.

The ability to turn the nannies off (or over ride them) or way way way down to regain a visceral driving experience is critical today. Dodge was the most inviting of all manufacturers in this regard until they couldn't make their CAFE numbers.

I really want to get a C5 Z06 and do a DBC conversion. It might be the perfect car never made. Otherwise, give me a stripper LS1 Camaro with an M6. Hard to believe they are over two decades old now.

Maybe I am just getting old...

happy t rex GIF by Audi

...no, it's the children who are wrong.

Reactions: 6 users

Tucker H.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Lots of old school "truck enthusiast" type guys will refuse to give up their 13 and 18 speeds, but the majority of steering wheel holders could care less. I've driven a handful of different trucks with different transmissions. In local traffic, especially in an unfamiliar area, it is nice to focus on your directions and where your trailer is. But on the highway, I'd take a manual all day, especially in an area with hills. My first cruise through the West Virginia mountains with a heavy shotgun coil was white knuckle driving in an automated 10 speed that likes to upshift regardless of what you want it to do. Damn thing refused to hold a gear. I did however drive an automated 13 speed and that truck was a lot faster and smoother to shift and held gears the way it was supposed to.

All this said, more than 90% of new trucks are automated transmissions and companies like them because they are more fuel efficient and they aren't replacing clutches and gearboxes all the time because rookies aren't grinding gears and riding the clutch in them.
Where I worked asked the mill employees who wants a CDL, we need people to fill in the shipping department. Well I got lucky the school they sent us too, the guy running it was retired military, and he was cool, he refused to teach anyone to drive with an Autoshift transmission. So the frieghtshakers we learned in where 10spds, had about 20k in the van, and well they taught us everything the federal government makes you, and more.

Heck the guy running the place even helped this guy get his license, dude was in the school like 6 months prior and was going to take his final test the next day, but on the way home he got tboned and lost an arm. That instructor fought back and forth with the state until they relented and let the guy take his test, dude scored a perfect 100 while driving with a prosthetic arm.

Anyway long story short my work forked over like 40k to sent 10 of use the get a CDL class A just to drive an automatic yard dog that uses a 6.7L cummins and 6spd automatic. Waste of money, but I do have a license to fall back on.

Since working in the shipping department, yeah alot of folks are steering wheel holders. Alot of folks can't speak english worth a damn or hardly at all either, and some take forever to get backed to the docks.

Heck even some companies straight lie to there drivers when the send them to our place to pick up orders for delivery, they'll come in bobtailing walk into the office and tell us there here for such and such load and were like back up to dock 5 and well get you loaded. There like my dispatch said this would be drop and hook, well buddy they lied the only preloaded we do is for our own company drivers. Then they gotta go find a trailer from somewhere and eventually get back to us.

It's really a sh*t show when it comes to trucking driving is what I learned.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Yup, same thing could be said for death of the 4 barrel carb. I drive 18 speeds, but now it hard to find anyone to drive standard trucks anymore, so most of the trucks now are automatics. I think around 2014, you have to test in a manual transmission truck, otherwise you get a CDL for automatic only. This is an extension of the cars, as the trucks are been following the cars, but usually lagging behind about 5 years. Glad I still have two cars with standard transmissions. They do connect you to the driving experience. Neither one of my kids have any interest in learning to drive standards.

Nov 4, 2012
Heck even some companies straight lie to there drivers when the send them to our place to pick up orders for delivery, they'll come in bobtailing walk into the office and tell us there here for such and such load and were like back up to dock 5 and well get you loaded. There like my dispatch said this would be drop and hook, well buddy they lied the only preloaded we do is for our own company drivers. Then they gotta go find a trailer from somewhere and eventually get back to us.

It's really a sh*t show when it comes to trucking driving is what I learned.
Boy didn't I learn that the hard way... I was OTR, stuck it out for about 2 months and got tired of being lied to and worked like a dog. Trucking companies are scum and dispatchers are paid liars.
Yup, same thing could be said for death of the 4 barrel carb. I drive 18 speeds, but now it hard to find anyone to drive standard trucks anymore, so most of the trucks now are automatics. I think around 2014, you have to test in a manual transmission truck, otherwise you get a CDL for automatic only. This is an extension of the cars, as the trucks are been following the cars, but usually lagging behind about 5 years. Glad I still have two cars with standard transmissions. They do connect you to the driving experience. Neither one of my kids have any interest in learning to drive standards.
Yep if you test in an automatic you have a restriction on your license.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
How can you tell when the dispatcher is lying?

His lips are moving.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor