Astro Van Engine Swap (Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Re: Astro Van Engine Swap

I know there are a few members living relatively close to me and if they ever have to do a job half that I would hope they'd be asking for help...I could use some free beer... :D

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

pontiacgp said:
I know there are a few members living relatively close to me and if they ever have to do a job half that I would hope they'd be asking for help...I could use some free beer... :D

I enjoy having people around to keep me company but it usually just slows me down. I have to tear it apart myself so that I can remember the way it goes back together. Having someone to fetch tools and what not would be a giant help though.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

Alright, i'm actually a lil behind in updating this so, i'm just gonna post some pics.

Got the motor pulled from the subframe, took some pics for reference. You can see some more of the wiring in these pics, too.

100_0990.jpg

100_0992.jpg

The little white plug towards the left was a real pain to get to. The only reason I needed to unplug this and the other plugs in the same box was because they were routed above an a/c line that was staying attached to the body.

100_0991.jpg

Got a shot of my boy helping transfer parts to the new motor.

100_0993.jpg

Here's another funny pic of us moving the new motor up to where we needed it. It was behind and to the left of the van.

100_0995.jpg

ANd then there is a gap in pictures. We had it in that night but didn't get any good pics, sorry.

100_0997.jpg

Today, we finished it up and got it started. I'm not real thrilled. It's missing and/or running rich, not sure which is causing which yet. There is a possibility the cat is causing problems, it's rattling. The check engine light is also on, so i'm a lil curious what it has to say.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

The drum can be ok but the not the cinder blocks. If you ever crawl under it with cinder block you risk your boy growing up without his Daddy. They will break suddenly with no warning.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ

dogshit said:
The drum can be ok but the not the cinder blocks. If you ever crawl under it with cinder block you risk your boy growing up without his Daddy. They will break suddenly with no warning.

I wouldnt say that. It depends how they are put down. If theres nothing better to use theres nothing wrong with using cinder blocks with a piece of wood on top. The must do is that they are facing the way they would in a foundation. IE with the holes up toward the sky.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

stomis said:
dogshit said:

I wouldnt say that. It depends how they are put down. If theres nothing better to use theres nothing wrong with using cinder blocks with a piece of wood on top. The must do is that they are facing the way they would in a foundation. IE with the holes up toward the sky.

They were not set right. The bottom blocks were right but the ones on top were wrong. This is why the drum stayed under it the whole time.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Stomis its a bad idea period. Lots of people have made this mistake most don't have bad things happen but honestly you can find blocks of wood or something. I am just trying to help the guy think of what he may not know or realize. Again they do frequently break under that type of load without any warning.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

dogshit said:
Stomis its a bad idea period. Lots of people have made this mistake most don't have bad things happen but honestly you can find blocks of wood or something. I am just trying to help the guy think of what he may not know or realize. Again they do frequently break under that type of load without any warning.

To make it even worse those blocks came from my fire pit. I wasn't thrilld about it but it should be clar that i do what i have to do to get things done. Now, if everyone had read everything posted before, i had already stated that the drum itself had supportted the entire load. I just threw the stands in to help the drum and give it more stability.

edit- Besides it proved to work better than the damn factory jack in my Tempo did. The car fell off the jack in the Advance Auto parking lot while I was changing the brakes. Damn Fords! :roll:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

I would love to know what your neighbors said when they first saw the van being propped up like that :rofl:

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

dan2286 said:
I would love to know what your neighbors said when they first saw the van being propped up like that :rofl:

The house next to us on that side is for sale. So i'd really love to know how the realtor explains it to prospective buyers.
I think they've shown it 3-4 times since I started working on the van. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor