Automotive Stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah anymore 'donk' refers to any car with big wheels, unless you're some ultra-purist-fact-checker.

2 main stereotypes I see around here.

Number one is the 'truck crowd'. This group mostly consists of amateur mechanics who only drive OBS fords or OBS dodges, will get in fights to the death over Cummins v. Powerstroke v. Duramax, and don't actually know anything about cars or trucks. They all have their trucks lifted 4-5", and have rediculous looking stacks in the bed, and a bunch of innapropriate stickers on the back window. They think 'rolling coal' is the coolest thing since they learned how to burn ants with magnifying glasses. They spend much of their time hanging out in Sheetz parking lots between 9 pm and 3 am.

The other is the 'ricer/tuner' group. Most of these people are kids ages 18-24 who live off their parents' paychecks, and spend most of their time at home playing video games because they don't have to work. They mostly drive Subaru WRXs, Volkswagen GTIs, and the occasional BMW M3. They have them lowered, usually have brightly colored wheels and illegally tinted windows, stupid loud sound systems, and like the truck guys, a bunch of innapropriate stickers on the back window. They act like driving stick shift is the coolest thing ever, and they don't want to be your friend if you don't drive with 3 pedals. This group of people likes to spend their nights driving up and down my street and downshifting as hard as they can so as to make enough noise to set off car alarms.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Heeeyyyyy, wait a minute.....I own an OBS powerstroke! And it's usually muddy/dirty (2 miles of gravel road).

Everybody knows Cummins is the diesel to own, but you have to buy a damn dodge to get one.

Really not a big deal to me, Was looking for crew cab, and this came along CHEAP.

No trash can exhaust, though....and the pump is stock.

Rolling coal = throwing money out the pipe

5l15k55j13e53md3l5c5s54.png

Reactions: 1 users

79CMC

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Being where I'm at now near a Marine Corps base, I'd say the stereotype in my area has also almost become a culture requirement. Joesregalproject definition of the "truck crowd" almost perfectly describes a lot of the Marines around here, and even if the young Marines weren't truck guys to begin with, they buy and lift their trucks to just to fit in with the other Marines. I don't know if it's a pumping testosterone, over-compensation thing for young men with disposable income, or a hyper-utility vehicle that matches the organization's rough-around-the-edges persona. Maybe riding around in a CRX seems weird after riding around in a HMMWV/MRAP/Tank.

The ones I really dislike though are the guys that lift the front of their trucks and then slam the rears to the ground. I think that stereotype is smartass young dudes who are too insecure NOT to have a truck but belligerent enough to completely ruin any practical use for the vehicle.

Nov 4, 2012
I'm a diesel mechanic, (given I work on tractor-trailers, not pickups) I've got nothing against diesels, as long as you've got a use for it. I hate all these swag-f*g, smart-*ss 18 year olds driving around in brand new 3500 diesels that their parents paid for, and they don't have any use for them. They drive them to the student parking lot at school and back home. They don't tow anything, so why do they need diesels? The trash can exhausts are idiotic, as are the stacks in the bed. They are wannabe-truckers. It's like 79CMC said, I think it's a testosterone thing. They all want to show how manly they are. Ooh, you drive a diesel with stacks in the bed, you must have balls the size of watermelons! :rofl:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
and the occasional BMW M3

Hey I drive an M3 don't lump me in with those jerkoffs. Granted, I actually know how to work on cars and share your same thoughts about the truck and tuner folks. Its unfortunate that so many jerkoffs drive WRXs and BMWs. Some of them are, objectively, truly brilliant cars. But then their owners act like dicks and put big stupid mufflers/lights/wheels/spoilers on them.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I think Pontiac can vouch for me but the steroetype around my area is the damn volkswagens. Mind you I own one it's a love hate thing honestly but any really car person could respect the car since it is just a nice car and well done. But what ruins it for me is the dumbo in the gti with a straight pipe who thinks he must redline like a rotard every intersection. These cars are slammed down tires stretched and can't make it in the damn Walmart to buy more dumb stickers

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
The definition of the word "donk" hasn't changed. The misuse of the word is irritating, especially when you have informed people of the correct meaning so that they may pass it along.

Example: It's equivalent to your '87 Grand National GNX being called a LeSabre everyday. You correct the person/people everyday, but they continue with their title/definition of what your car is to be called.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Well over here in the gbody capitol(LOS ANGELES)our gbodies have always been associated with low riders which are associated with "gang bangers"

I dated a chick when I was stationed out there and the first thing her mom said about my SS is that it was a gangster car. She didn't like me because of my car....at least I wanted to believe that!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Example: It's equivalent to your '87 Grand National GNX being called a LeSabre everyday. You correct the person/people everyday, but they continue with their title/definition of what your car is to be called.
I can't tell you how many times my Monte has been called a GN or Buick but I think it is kind of funny so I usually just laugh when I hear that and I get it since it is a black Gbody with fender vents and no emblems on the car.
These will usually be the same people that ask me what GM car did the 565 engine came out of and I respond with there is not a single GM part on that engine, their dumbfounded look is priceless.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Oh hey what about those car guys who drive those 80's era GM junk mobiles. The worst years of GM Junk and they think they can make a race car out of those tin cans from the 80's. I think they call them g or j body's or something like that. More like R Bodies for "RUST" bodies. Every one knows these guys are too poor to afford real muscle cars like a dodge daytona or a ZL1 69' Camaro. "OH look at my monte carlos" I just tell them "yea buddy my grandmother drives one too"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor