Automotive Stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
From my personal experiences:
G bodies Tattered and beaten down= too poor to afford a decent car, or very well disguised sleeper. Gawdy paint jobs and giant rims= I bet you can guess that one. Whatever pops into your head is your fault not mine :p
F Bodies 2nd (late 70s on up) and 3rd gen= rednecks or teens who think they're hot sh*t
Fox body/SN95 body style= see above
Old school muscle= usually someone who knows about cars or has a lot of money
Big lifted IMMACULATE pickup trucks from the 90s-present= either overcompensating douches or teens with their daddy's overcomensation-mobile.
Any chevy c/10/f150 with mud spatter= dumbasses who think they're "country" because they have a muddy backyard and have a mossy oak seat cover.

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
Different times when i was looking for g bodies id get guys on CL with the thickest southern accents id heard in my life from small towns id never heard of.

These were all outwardly stockish cars not donks.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
These were all outwardly stockish cars not donks.

A "Donk" is specifically a 1971-1976 Chevrolet Caprice or Impala only, regardless of stock or modified condition. It has absolutely nothing to do with wheels, paint, or anything else.

*Just sharing this knowledge because the mainstream media and internet have been sharing the wrong definition for years.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've never heard of a "donk" referring to any specific model of car. It's always been any car that has a stupid, fair ride paint job and giant rims. Or a lowrider.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
The definition has never changed, just a ton of misinformed people. That's also one of the stereotypes.

People think that everything with big wheels and kandy paint is a donk.

If a kandy painted Monte Carlo on 26s rides by, we don't say "Look at that donk"; It's just a Monte Carlo on 26s. If a clean, all original '73 Caprice rides by, then we say "Look at that clean donk."

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Must be a regional thing. Like how some people say pop or soda. I've never heard anyone describe a neat, factory car as a donk. It's always cars with giant rims and flashy over the top paintjobs or lowriders. I've also seen model kits of Buick Regals and Monte Carlos with "DONK" as an option.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
http://www.rides-mag.com/news/2013/01/jalopnik-this-is-a-donk/

2016-04-15 22.26.39.png

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
How are they claiming to be experts on what something means they dont even know the origin of? And who made them the emperor of declaring real rappers and hacks?

Sounds like theyre salty they put donk on a picture and the term is so commonly now and theyre mad now.

Not dissing u but the tone of the article sort rubbed me the wrong way. If 70's impalas the real origin and you guys use that term, cool. In my area they call anything from cuttys to crown vics donks. I think thats what most people think.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub, why is it so important to you that your version of what a donk is is the correct version. Definitions change all the time to reflect on the current world and when it comes to donks it is still just a car. That article you posted is only the writer's opinion and his opinion is of no high value than any other person's opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor