Bad converter symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Hey guys whats up? I was just wondering if someone could help diagnose my problem. Im running a th350 behind a 5.3 LS. The cam i chose was the edelbrock 2215 and i was recommended to use 2700-3000 stall with that set up from a few different companies. And thats exactly what im running. This trans functioned perfect behind a built 350 and the 5.3 is running amazingly so its not a motor issue. Basically what is happening it will cruise down the road perfect. Easing into it from a stop works perfectly. So just being easy on it you would swear there is nothing wrong with it. Until you hammer down on the gas pedal. The 5.3 revs up and screams like a drag car going down the drag strip but the whole car is barley moving. It doesnt feel like the trans is slipping if feels almost as if i was chained to something really heavy or if the brakes were applied it actually picks up speed faster at half throttle then it does at full throttle. Its hard to explain i hope someone understands.
This was a brand new converter and ive never had one go bad but its the only thing i can come up with. Its the only thing on the whole car i changed from the 350 to the 5.3. Trans untouched the rear untouched and it was all in working order before. Any help is appreciated

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If it acts the same in any gear, than I would say it sounds like a bad converter.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
As far as i know it does. Ive been to afraid to drive it i dont wanna burn up the trans

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Are you sure it went into the transmission all the way?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Are you sure it went into the transmission all the way?
Haha nope. I was gun shy about that one when i put it in. Ive dropped in converters before but this one was alittle bit of a pain. But i played it off as my paranoia. Im also thinking its not getting fluid in it somehow. It only held like half a quart of fluid. Every other one ive done held at least a full bottle and still be empty.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Im pretty for sure this is the issue just with the bad weather and all i havent been able to swap it out to fix it. I got people so confused on this one because the motor runs perfect. The trans shifts perfect. It cruises perfect. Idles around in drive perfect. Just when you hit full throttle the motor revs up and screams like the power is there but its as if the brakes were applied

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
No its dished it only goes on one way.
But somthing is definitely going on for sure now. If I hold the brakes and push the gas pedal down it will brake stall up to 5000 rpm. Its only a 3000 stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor